Replacing Optics lost in a house fire

As the title states, I lost my optics gear (along with other items) in a house fire. Insurance has paid me a depreciated or used value on both my binos as well as spotter of $850 for Binos and $1,200 for Spotting Scope. I have replacement coverage Insurance so they will replace my used gear for new cost. To the tune of $560 more for Binos (totalling $1400+) and $520 more on the Spotter (totalling $1,720).
So I went to Cabela's and grabbed a pair of Vortex Razor 12x50 Binos and Razor 27-60x85 angled Spotter to check out and get my hands on for now. Knowing I can return them if I choose.
What other Optics should I be looking at for those price points? Opinions?

OP
M
You could pick up some dam nice used swaro binos and spotter on here for that money.

Do it and don't look back.

Small problem with that. Insurance wants sales receipts for replacement coverage reimbursement. I have to purchase said optics, produce a valid sales receipt, then they will issue $500+ funds to Spotter and Binos.
PayPal individual will not cut it for fraud reasons. As in, I pay my buddy/family for his used Swaro's (that he doesn't have), get my money back and Insurance pays me replacement cost. Used is a no-go

dotman

WKR
Return both, first off there are better prices on vortex from rokslide sponsors. I would recommend a better spotter, such as the Kowa 55 series, yes it is smaller but way better optically. If you want a large get spotter you can get a used/demo Leica, Swaro or Kowa for not much more then the full retail cabelas sells for.

dotman

WKR
Small problem with that. Insurance wants sales receipts for replacement coverage reimbursement. I have to purchase said optics, produce a valid sales receipt, then they will issue $500+ funds to Spotter and Binos.
PayPal individual will not cut it for fraud reasons. As in, I pay my buddy/family for his used Swaro's (that he doesn't have), get my money back and Insurance pays me replacement cost. Used is a no-go

Get them from rokslide sponsors, call cameralandny and see what deals they will give you. S&S archery gives 10% if you use code rokslide. B&H photo while not a sponsor has an email for better price on the Kowa 77 and eyepieces.

Cabela’s is just over spending unless on sale, if you can wait longer and have to spend at Cabelas wait for the instinct spotter and binos to go on sale.

OP
M
Return both, first off there are better prices on vortex from rokslide sponsors. I would recommend a better spotter, such as the Kowa 55 series, yes it is smaller but way better optically. If you want a large get spotter you can get a used/demo Leica, Swaro or Kowa for not much more then the full retail cabelas sells for.

I understand Cabela's is not the best for pricing. The hangup with this Insurance coverage is they will only pay the additional $500+ towards the $1400 Binos and $500+ to the $1700 Spotter is to spend that dollar amount. If I don't spend it, they won't pay it. If I spend beyond that amount, it's out of my pocket (considered an upgrade). So to pony up for new Swaro's is another $1000+ from my pocket. I just don't have it. I want good glass for what Insurance will pay guys

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Meopta makes some quality optics maybe look at Maven also

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Get them from rokslide sponsors, call cameralandny and see what deals they will give you. S&S archery gives 10% if you use code rokslide. B&H photo while not a sponsor has an email for better price on the Kowa 77 and eyepieces.

Cabela’s is just over spending unless on sale, if you can wait longer and have to spend at Cabelas wait for the instinct spotter and binos to go on sale.
I agree with dotman give some sponsors a call tell them your end goal and ask thier opinion.
Sucks hopefully you'll bounce back from the fire I know plenty of things that no amount of money can replace if lost in a for, luckily optics isn't on that list. Most newer optics will be an upgrade over those just a few years earlier.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
I understand Cabela's is not the best for pricing. The hangup with this Insurance coverage is they will only pay the additional $500+ towards the $1400 Binos and $500+ to the $1700 Spotter is to spend that dollar amount. If I don't spend it, they won't pay it. If I spend beyond that amount, it's out of my pocket (considered an upgrade). So to pony up for new Swaro's is another $1000+ from my pocket. I just don't have it. I want good glass for what Insurance will pay guys

Pretty easy to spend it, get Swaro SLC’s and a good spotter by adding a few more $. Don’t settle for mediocre glass just cause insurance will pay. If you want get the cabelas instinct binos and then get a Kowa 55 spotter, you’ll spend the same and have much better optics then vortex offers.

nrh6.7

WKR
You could buy demo optics from an actual store for a reduced price and still satisfy the receipt requirement.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Nice cat!

My advice is to get the best you can with the insurance company without breaking or bending any of their rules. It wouldn't be worth it.

I agree that Swarovski is out of your price range (without a big discount anyway) under the insurance reimbursement rules you mentioned. The good news is there are options in your price range that are definitely not "mediocre."

I am with realunlucky's recommendation of Meopta or Cabelas Euro. I would start there as well.

Nikon has very good options. I am currently testing the Monarch HG binoculars ($999 retail), and although it is way too early in my review to be definitive, my initial impressions are they certainly deserve a look in that price range.

You could also get into a nice Maven setup for binoculars, spotter, or both in that price range.

I also wouldn't consider Vortex' Razor HD series mediocre, but I do like the above options better.

Sorry you had to go through that, and I hope things work out well for you.

OP
M
Thanks everyone for the input. Somehow went to edit my Cougar post and I mistakenly deleted it.
Here he is again.
foel8h.jpg

EasilyExcited

Lil-Rokslider
buy whatever you can for the amount the insurance will pay and return it after you submit receipts. and then buy what you truely want after you receve your settlement check

LightFoot

WKR
Can't go wrong with Swarovski, Leica, or Zeiss. Vortex is good but not as good.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

bowhnt

Lil-Rokslider
Curious did they actually burn up in the fire or just suffer from heat or smoke damage? Just wondering. I’m just finishing up with an insurance claim for a small fire. It’s been a six month process

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
M
Curious did they actually burn up in the fire or just suffer from heat or smoke damage? Just wondering. I’m just finishing up with an insurance claim for a small fire. It’s been a six month process

House completely burned to the ground, lost everything. Our process has taken a bit longer than 6 months. We finally got into our new home 4 months ago. Things are getting better for sure. Good luck to you on your recovery.

bowhnt

Lil-Rokslider
House completely burned to the ground, lost everything. Our process has taken a bit longer than 6 months. We finally got into our new home 4 months ago. Things are getting better for sure. Good luck to you on your recovery.

Sorry to hear! We got incredibly lucky that the fire dept happened to be just down the road finishing up with a 911 call when we called them. They were there In just a few minutes or else I’m sure we likely would have lost it all as well. The fire just started to get into our ceiling when they got there. Had most of my hunting gear in the house and lost most of it to smoke damage so I’ve been slowly replacing everything.

RussGS

Lil-Rokslider
I am really sorry about your house. That must be pretty rough. If you have to stick with that range, I think that is what the Kowa Genesis Prominar bino sells for at Cameraland. I was talking to them about it, and probably would have gone for it, but I ended up going 12x50, and it did not come in that configuration.