Renfro/ 60" club

Has anyone considered these 2 and done a price breakdown for any extras/gear/costs

Renfro does the all inclusive diy with food camp gear etc for a set price.

60" offers a drop off and you still need to bring food/gear/rent gear for added costs.

A friend and I are wanting/starting to plan a moose hunt and these are the options we're looking at.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

AKBorn

WKR
I have never flown with either of these outfits, but have done about a dozen AK flyout hunts over the past 2 decades, so take this for what it's worth -

Do they fly hunters into the same areas, or do they work different areas of the state? I am pretty sure that Wade Renfro is taking hunters into an area that has an abundant moose population at the moment, lot of guys get nice moose flying out of Bethel.

What is the cost difference between the 2 options? I will say that getting all of your gear to Alaska and into the bush for a DIY remote hunt can be costly and a pain in the rump, I did it a couple of times and said heck with this, and got a storage unit in Anchorage where I keep all of my hunting and camping gear for AK hunts (except for my rifle, ammo and knives, I bring those with me each time I go).

Is the cost of transporting your moose meat/hide/antlers back to their home base included in the cost you ae quoted?

Good on you for starting your research, lots of variables to consider and weigh before making a decision.

Has anyone considered these 2 and done a price breakdown for any extras/gear/costs

60" offers a drop off and you still need to bring food/gear/rent gear for added costs.

A friend and I are wanting/starting to plan a moose hunt and these are the options we're looking at.

A few years back I did the trip with Renfro. I opted to not do the “all inclusive” option and just have him do a drop for us and our gear. At the time, they were charging $1000 a person for the “all inclusive” option. We had 4 of us going, so for 4K we could buy a lot of nice gear and all the food we wanted and saved some money. Plus we were then able to sell some of our stuff when we got back and recouped some of our costs. Had a good experience with Renfros. Not sure who the other group is though…

Last edited:

bmrfish

WKR
Have only done Renfros. Have not done the other. I don’t think I would make a decision between the two based on the price of gear vs no gear.
We take our own gear and food but we use it a lot so it pencils out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slugz

WKR
Feel free to PM me and I can go through a detailed price breakdown. Lots of ways to skin this cat.

Matt79

Lil-Rokslider
Two buddies and I hunted with Renfros. The trip was great and filled with memories. We went 3/3 on bulls. We never seen any really big bulls in our camp, but killed 3 good representation bulls, and were more than happy. A lot of big bulls killed in other camps though.

OP
F
For the guys that did the fully outfitted camps. How was the food? What kind of food is provided?
What kind of hunting is it?
Calling/stalking?
Or is it more glassing type country from high knobs?
Is a spotting scope worth the hassle?

Matt79

Lil-Rokslider
Renfros has a list of all the camp supplies and food they provide if you reach out to them. We provided all our own gear and food.

Mostly calling close to camp was how we, and most camps hunted. It’s mostly flat ground, so no getting high unless you have a tree you can climb. We just had small alders, but some guys had trees big enough to climb and it helped them spot moose.

Spotter would have just been a waste of precious weight imo

Sawtoothsteve

Lil-Rokslider

Send me a PM. I've done both....

PA Hunter

WKR

Im doing Renfros in 2026 but bringing my own stuff. I have a thing about using my own gear its just how I am.

JW683

FNG
Me and a buddy are hunting with them this September.
Called a lot of references and they checked all the boxes. Looking forward to this hunt!

280Ackley

WKR
I wouldn’t recommend 60” club to my worst enemy after the experiences my buddy had with them!!!

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going with renfros next year and I went with Troy in 2018. Everything that troy could help with and control went amazing and I wouldn't hesitate to go with him again. Some buddies and I just wanted to try a different part of alaska. 2 years ago we hunted by the talkeetna river. after renfros I'd like to try the brooks range area. It's always a different adventure!

Huggybear

FNG
Im booked with Renfros for 2027. My brother and I are really looking forward to the hunt.

I did a an all inclusive Caribou drop in 2021 and it worked out well, as a matter of fact I think I might not have brought enough food had I brought my own, we were in the field for an extra 5 days. That being said now in 2024 we are going with Renfro for Moose and we are bringing our own gear. Now that I have been to Alaska I have a better sense of what I need and I either own or have purchased those items. I do believe that if you go with the provided camp you'll get 99% of what you need.