Remington Model 660

Was just given an old Remington Model 660 in 308 by my father who’s only put a handful of rounds through it over the last few decades. Seems to be in mint condition and a pretty darn good shooter considering the few freehand rounds I’ve put through it. I have been a strict bow hunter for most of my life, and started transitioning into muzzleloaders last year. Handguns shortly followed and now I feel the long range itch starting to come along, so this rifle was a welcomed addition.

Can anyone tell me anything about this rifle? I know nothing about it or rifles in general, so if anybody has any info or hunting stories with this firearm I would love to hear.

onlybrowning

Lil-Rokslider
Post some pics of it. If I’m not mistaken, there were different iterations of that model. I’m picturing shorter barrel, wood stock, possibly Express iron sights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tater

WKR
Ooohhh...i lusted after those little rifles when i was a pup. Always wanted one in 350RM.

I have no doubt that it will be a shooter. Like a lot of late 60's early 70's Remington products that weren't the 700, they were often considered a bit of a "bargain rifle" (think 788) but were often amazing tack drivers.
If you pull that action, you will see the inletting for the action is crisp and well done. Just make sure it is sealed well (sometimes they scrimped on the sealant) and if you hunt in a wet environment the wood will move.
Also, make sure the old recall was done to make sure it doesn't go "bang" when you don't want it to.

OP
A
Thanks for the above info, here are some pictures I just snagged of it.
IMG_7671.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7672.jpeg
    IMG_7672.jpeg
    350.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7673.jpeg
    IMG_7673.jpeg
    362.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7674.jpeg
    IMG_7674.jpeg
    370.5 KB · Views: 11

ScottP76

FNG
I have 2 of either the 600 or 660 .243 and 308 that my dad bought for his grandkids. Me and my daughter put lots of rounds through the 243, pretty accurate at 100yds and had my daughter shooting steel at 200 and 300 yds with no issues. I haven’t shot the 308 yet but imagine it’s the same.

Just need a strong dental pick or small screwdriver to remove the bolt for cleaning.

Those are handy lil rifles. Theres a metal floorplate that is available for them. Timney still sells a trigger for them as well.

ElPollo

WKR
Had one like that in 243 when I was in high school and undergrad. Sold it when I was poor. Still regret that. Mine had an 18” barrel and had a prodigious amount of muzzle blast. Not generally what I would start someone out on nowadays, but they are nice little compact rifles. The guy I sold it to kept it in a truck, tractor, or combine as a coyote gun.

Maki35

WKR
Nice handy rifle. The 660 was introduced in 1968. It replaced the Rem 600. It was said to have been designed to be a guide gun. Hang on to it and enjoy it.

OP
A
Seems to be a very handy gun to have around for sure. Anyone hunt with one? Never hunted with a rifle before but I head out west quite often, seems like it would be pretty easy and light to pack around.

I hunt with one, (a 600) frequently. The light weight is a big plus. The short barrels have some muzzle blast for sure, I had mine rebarrelled with a longer tube to fix that.