Remington 700 upgrade/modifications

First, I'm going to make it clear that there's a difference between an AD and an ND. I've had a couple ADs with the 700 and stock trigger because I KNOW my finger wasn't on the trigger when I pushed the safety off.

I had 1 ND with my Timney. I might have been set a touch too low. I was packing out of the truck to go yote hunting on a super cold night, had the rifle loaded and, as I was shouldering it, it went off. I can't now recall if the safety was on or off and I blame myself for that. Could have been numb fingers or any of a dozen things. I did tighten up the trigger a touch afterwards.

Curious, though, what do you mean by a "slam fire"? Firing pin dropping when you close the bolt?

Yes fire pin dropped on the closing of the bolt.

No booger picker anywhere near the trigger.

I know you said you already have a trigger. And I assume it's working fine.

Just a word of caution. If anyone lowers the lbs to mess with the unloaded gun quite a bit.

With the reputation for TT I was shocked. But it was easily repeatable. And went away when I adjusted it back up.

By mess with, I recommend handling the rifle pretty rough while empty, including vertical drops on the butt pad. You'd be surprised how easy it is to adjust them to a point where that drop releases the firing pin.

rootacres

WKR
Don't let me talk you out of it. But after hunting with both, if I had a rem 700 action I would keep my hunting rig in the BDL configuration. Just my opinion.

As for stocks, it's another one of those "you get what you pay for" kind of deals. Grayboe, HS Precision make some moderately priced options. I owned an HSP on a 300 WSM a few years back. It was great for the price. If you're looking a little bit higher end, AG Composites and Manners makes some really nice stuff. I have an Alterra Arms CF stock, I don't believe they are selling stocks as an option anymore. If they are, I would put them in the same category as the Manners/AG.

Good luck

OP
J

Jpsmith1

Lil-Rokslider
Don't let me talk you out of it. But after hunting with both, if I had a rem 700 action I would keep my hunting rig in the BDL configuration. Just my opinion.

As for stocks, it's another one of those "you get what you pay for" kind of deals. Grayboe, HS Precision make some moderately priced options. I owned an HSP on a 300 WSM a few years back. It was great for the price. If you're looking a little bit higher end, AG Composites and Manners makes some really nice stuff. I have an Alterra Arms CF stock, I don't believe they are selling stocks as an option anymore. If they are, I would put them in the same category as the Manners/AG.

Good luck
I'm not opposed to keeping cash in my wallet for other gear or hunting opportunities. Believe me.