Remington 700 upgrade/modifications

Jpsmith1

Lil-Rokslider
Remington 700 left hand 7mm mag. Thus far stock rifle.

Looking to do the following:

Upgrade stock.
Change from hinged floor plate to box magazine.

I'm really not looking to go to a full chassis system at this time unless it becomes the best option financially.

The more I e-shop, the more I am almost stuck on the Boyd's featherweight thumbhole stock. I'm not super weight conscious but I don't want a boat anchor, either. The Boyd's stock is reasonable, weight wise with a bedding system and the stability of a laminate.

Is the box mag upgrade worth it or are they janky kits with difficult to secure magazines where a blind mag/hinged floorplate is better? I don't have a huge need for super fast reloads or anything.

Also open to stock suggestions.

Use case is mostly eastern hunting with an eye to maybe climb a mountain on an "adventure hunt" once or twice in my life.

BAKPAKR

WKR
Why do you want to go with a box magazine? That is really going to limit your selection among the lower-priced stocks.

Bdl bottom metal works very well, and if you want to load to a longer coal it gives way more flexibility than a box mag.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I don’t like magazines that stick down. Hawkins makes a flush fit magazine that I had experience with in my daughter’s elk hunt this year. It froze in the bottom metal (snow and cold) and I had a devil of a time getting it out. I just couldn’t get a good enough grip on it. For the rest of the hunt, I used the MDT magazine that stuck out farther and used the Hawkins as a spare.

If you stay with the factory BDL bottom metal, the Bell & Carlson Alaskan II stock is a relatively inexpensive stock that feels good in my hands. It seems to cut recoil compared to the factory stock on my 300 RUM. Mine is a little over 2 pounds though so it isn’t really a light stock.

OP
J

Jpsmith1

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t like magazines that stick down. Hawkins makes a flush fit magazine that I had experience with in my daughter’s elk hunt this year. It froze in the bottom metal (snow and cold) and I had a devil of a time getting it out. I just couldn’t get a good enough grip on it. For the rest of the hunt, I used the MDT magazine that stuck out farther and used the Hawkins as a spare.

If you stay with the factory BDL bottom metal, the Bell & Carlson Alaskan II stock is a relatively inexpensive stock that feels good in my hands. It seems to cut recoil compared to the factory stock on my 300 RUM. Mine is a little over 2 pounds though so it isn’t really a light stock.
Appreciate the recommendation of Bell and Carlson. Doesn't look like that stock comes in Lefty.

This is honestly the beginning of a process where I'll spend a fair amount of time and ask a number of probably dumb questions before I decide what I'm going to outfit my rifle with.

BAKPAKR

WKR
Appreciate the recommendation of Bell and Carlson. Doesn't look like that stock comes in Lefty.

This is honestly the beginning of a process where I'll spend a fair amount of time and ask a number of probably dumb questions before I decide what I'm going to outfit my rifle with.
You might give Bell & Carlson a call to confirm what they offer in a lefty version. Mine is left handed but it might actually be just an Alaskan instead of an Alaskan II. I have had it for a while.

Depending on how you like it, consider a trigger while you have it apart. My Remmys all wear timmney triggers. its an easy DIY.

OP
J

Jpsmith1

Lil-Rokslider
I personally hate box mags even though I own them. They're clunky, they rattle, they're heavy and not all stocks are compatible.
This is good enough reason to avoid them, honestly.
This is the best bang for your buck, I really like mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was looking at that exact setup last night. I'm just not entirely sure I want to go that "tacticool" if you follow me. No shade if that's your thing but I'm not sure it's mine.
Depending on how you like it, consider a trigger while you have it apart. My Remmys all wear timmney triggers. its an easy DIY.
I have 2 700s and neither have the stock trigger anymore. It's so basic to me that I failed to mention it in my OP. One wears a Timney and one a Trigger tech. Having had a few ADs from the remington trigger problem, I won't knowingly load a remington with a stock trigger in it.

This is good enough reason to avoid them, honestly.

I was looking at that exact setup last night. I'm just not entirely sure I want to go that "tacticool" if you follow me. No shade if that's your thing but I'm not sure it's mine.

I have 2 700s and neither have the stock trigger anymore. It's so basic to me that I failed to mention it in my OP. One wears a Timney and one a Trigger tech. Having had a few ADs from the remington trigger problem, I won't knowingly load a remington with a stock trigger in it.
Fyi you can get a slam fire if you take a Triggertech to low as well. In my experience you can't take them as low as they advertise.

Raider4044

Lil-Rokslider

Replace the trigger for sure. I’d go Triggertech over timney though.

Big Ern

WKR
Triggertech diamond trigger. Expensive, but worth it.

Stock:
Mcmillan, Manners, or XLR Element 4.0 (if really want a chassis)

Action:
Get it trued. Call LRI…they do good work and have a fast turnaroud.

Barrel:

Bartlein, Krieger, or hawk hill for stainless
Bartlein or Prrif fir carbon

Bottomline: you don’t beed any of this stuff to shoot with moderate accuracy. Training and good technique is
Ore important. The best uograde to a stock rifle is a good trigger. Huge improvement for very litttle $$. Next, is stock to get a good fit and less flex. Stock stocks are usually garbage.

Everything after these 2 things get pricey and are very small improvements.

warrbuk

WKR

This stock is decent, and comes in left hand. Its basically a rem classic pattern w/o checkering.

About 2# so not a ultralight

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Get your bolt handle rig welded on to the bolt, it’s a week spot on Remington 700s, the handle seems like it’s just soldered on. I sent mine to accu-tig to have it done, it also improved extraction.

Other than that, trigger tech trigger was a nice upgrade. My rifle is an xcr2 so even though it has a plastic stock, it is coated with titanium nitride.

OP
J

Jpsmith1

Lil-Rokslider
Fyi you can get a slam fire if you take a Triggertech to low as well. In my experience you can't take them as low as they advertise.
First, I'm going to make it clear that there's a difference between an AD and an ND. I've had a couple ADs with the 700 and stock trigger because I KNOW my finger wasn't on the trigger when I pushed the safety off.

I had 1 ND with my Timney. I might have been set a touch too low. I was packing out of the truck to go yote hunting on a super cold night, had the rifle loaded and, as I was shouldering it, it went off. I can't now recall if the safety was on or off and I blame myself for that. Could have been numb fingers or any of a dozen things. I did tighten up the trigger a touch afterwards.

Curious, though, what do you mean by a "slam fire"? Firing pin dropping when you close the bolt?