Remington 700 firing pin spring long and short action a discussion on 20-28# springs… pro/cons

Have had a few flyers and been going down the path of fire control and important factors that can create random flyers. Shroud and spring seem to be possible reasons from those such as Eric Cortina, Speedy, F class john etc if follow any literature from that group. Gretan springs are 20-22 # and wolff has an assortment 24-32# from what i understand stock is 24# from remington and 24-28 is the spot to be. Too much can introduce vibrations that affect harmonic and ignition problems at times which makes sense…so id think 24# would be a good place to be. I loss 20 feet per second with gretans springs and fluted firing pins…also replacing firing pins is a topic i Havnt found much on…would like to learn more on. although the gretans been reliable and single digit sd, es…i think id rather a stronger spring. so ordered 24 and 28 from wolff. Be interested to hear opinions, thanks

TaperPin

WKR
I had a few misfires and a shot that went 2 moa off course when it did go off from ice in the bolt causing light primer strikes and that opened my eyes to spring tension. Even if it doesn’t improve accuracy, going up in weight with a hunting rifle doesn’t seem like a bad thing to me if it improves ignition in bad freeze/thaw conditions.

Having said that, I have only replaced old springs with factory 24 lb and haven’t experimented with 28 lb springs yet, but am much more careful to keep water out of the bolt/trigger.

At least for a Remington, it seems many folks that have tested it, find the factory 24 lb springs ideal for the factory weight and diameter firing pin. It’s been years since reading that and I can’t even recall the names quoted, but it seemed like a very reliable group of fellows at the time.

It seems easy enough to test group sizes for different weights given springs are less than $20, but I’ve not had reason to question other folks. My nephew is a very hands on learner, so when he brings up the question, it will be a good time to grab a few different springs and head to the range. I have been saving a super weak spring that barely fires a primer just to show him how much it can effect accuracy.

Bergara used (uses?) 32 lb springs in their Remington clone, which hasn’t set the world on fire, but has some owners complaining about stiff bolt lift. Maybe bolt lift is the main limiting factor since it is quite disruptive to follow up shots.

I will bet money the FP spring has nothing to do with the flyers, and also that you end up using the old spring again because you hate the heavier bolt lift

rayporter

WKR
ignition is very important that is for sure. i have changed out springs yearly on target rifles. just had one changed out. i have the tool to do remy type firing pins.

now is the spring your problem or primers? seating depth of primers? lots of possibilities. there are not many hunting platforms capable of showing the changes in springs.

a very good competition shooter just had a problem with primers. after a discussion with another smith he changed primers and went back to winning.

OP
greyghostnw
I will bet money the FP spring has nothing to do with the flyers, and also that you end up using the old spring again because you hate the heavier bolt lift
possible correct. If anything gathered tools for fire control should have anyway and not a bad idea taking apart every now and then anyway for a look see and clean. The possible reasons are large… perhaps its just me… The flyer aspect was just on a 308 so it baffled me looking for reasons. Replacing spring with stock 24# shouldn’t hurt.