Relocating for the bird dog (and me)

From what I've read, some of the better pheasant hunting in MT is within an hour or two drive of Great Falls. My brother and I were in Great Falls last fall and the people there were awesome.

There is quite a bit of real estate for sale outside of Great Falls too. I've been giving properties around Augusta a close look and some are "reasonable". Others not so much, especially if there are any trees or brush on them. LOL!

A-Brakke

FNG
The GSP and I continue to ponder a relocate in the next year or so. I'm a carpenter, but also sell stone coated steel roofs with a roofing co here in N. CO. The bird hunting mostly sucks here, and i want to either buy/build/remodel a house on the cheaper side of things, and im not spending the 550k nonsense you have to spend here to live in a development with a 6' long backyard. If you have a GSP, you know that aint' good. So long as i can find suitable work and get a house, i think we are outta here next year. You can't have it all, but i do have an particular obsession with fly fishing, so we've pondered maybe the Billings area, prob good work there, and i have a buddy that's done some work in the Rapid City area, so considered there, Casper... but if i ended up 5 hours from a trout stream, i may not survive, not sure. I tend to think towns in the 50k plus population will have enough work demand to keep the checking account full, but i could be wrong there. Where would you guys go? Or would you stay put, and travel when you can. I know this, the dog would prefer to move. I told him about the public land hunting in MT and he went berserk.View attachment 406514

A-Brakke

FNG
My wife and I and our young son just relocated from Small rural town in WA to Billings, MT. We’ve found everything about it to be a major trade up in every way! People are awesome, traffic is non existent, and Housing is affordable. Lota of awesome fixer uppers, and reasonable land prices for building. Hunting options are endless, been fishing the Yellowstone/Stillwater avidly for cutt throat, browns, catfish, crappie. Pheasants are everywhere you look. If your looking for a big but little city would definitely recommend Billings. Columbus or absoarkee is also a gem 30 minutes away and you can still get property on the Yellowstone river for under 150k.

TonyG

FNG
I would consider Rapid City. I’m from the Dakotas originally and planning a move back In October.

You have the black hills, which is average for fly fishing, but can get you by to at least catch fish. It’s only about a 2hr drive from Rapid.

For upland you really can’t beat the Dakota’s in my opinion. You have a lot of opportunities for grouse and pheasants without having to drive for hours on end.

OP
M

mporter012

Lil-Rokslider
My wife and I and our young son just relocated from Small rural town in WA to Billings, MT. We’ve found everything about it to be a major trade up in every way! People are awesome, traffic is non existent, and Housing is affordable. Lota of awesome fixer uppers, and reasonable land prices for building. Hunting options are endless, been fishing the Yellowstone/Stillwater avidly for cutt throat, browns, catfish, crappie. Pheasants are everywhere you look. If your looking for a big but little city would definitely recommend Billings. Columbus or absoarkee is also a gem 30 minutes away and you can still get property on the Yellowstone river for under 150k.
Thx for the insight man! Are you a bird hunter?