Reloading Die for 7mm Rem Mag

I am looking at getting into reloading for a 7mm Rem Mag. I have discovered there is a huge rabbit hole one can dive into in this topic. So it has been a little confusing for me. The big debate seems to be over Neck Sizing vs Full Length sizing, but using the FL sizer to just bump the shoulder back a little.

So first question for those who reload 7mm Rem Mag (I guess any mag loads would be relevant as well) Neck vs Full Length sizing?

Second area I have questions is actual reloading dies. It seems like there are a ton of different brands, and a ton of different opinions on the quality of the brands. So I am just curious if there really is a huge difference between the cheaper dies vs the more expensive die. Because if there is a big difference I would rather get a quality expensive one. But if there isn't that much difference I don't mind saving some cash. So just wanted some people's real world experiences.

I started with RCBS dies but changed to a Browning BAR in the middle 80s. As refernced in the Speer #9 book, the chamber tolerances were to tight for the regular dies and I had to do a full length sizing each time even with Small Base Dies. I finally got to consistancy with nickel plated shells.

About the late 90s I upgraded to a Safari grade and found a little more tolerance to chamber size. In about 2004 I upgraded again and found about the same consistancy as I had found with the Safari grade.

I'm still using small base dies that you may not have to without a BAR. I cycle all my loaded shells through the actions to make sure they fit after reloading them.

I decide on the load by going to a powder reference book (Hodgdons), Drop a little below the mid range and then increase in groups of three by 0.1 of a grain. I find that the pattern will open up and close . I then select the loading that give me the best (tightest) pattern and load 5 - 10 at that load and test them at 50, 100 and 200 yd intervals for consistancy.

Once I am happy with the load, I load up 30 or so and test me. I set out targets in the woods in situations I have experienced. I test shooting conditions I have experienced. Standing, sitting, leaning against trees, steep uphill and downhill at 100-150 yds. If I have time, I may set a target up at 300 and 400 yds and test my ability to judge distance and predict bullet drop.

I used to load shells for bolt action rifle. And like most beginners my choice was as hot as I could get them. At the time I was loading IMR-4831. I saw flattened primers often and started to notice a bright ring around the base of the shell. I read somewhere about erosion on the inside and stretch. I got a dissecting needle out of biology kits and started feeling inside the shell for that erosion and found some. Nothing more exciting than shooting a shell and only getting the base of the case out on the ejection.

When I got the first BAR, I found that it would kick those earlier loaded shells out onto the ground still spitting 4" of flame. Rather than risking an early forest fire I discussed the issue with a grumpy gunsmith close to my office. He suggested H-4350 and reading the loading manual. Both helped!!

I no longer load for speed - I load for accuracy. I don't have short lifespan casings and I don't encounter early forest fires.

I kill an elk about every year and have since the middle 60s. I don't miss very often.

EVO6

Lil-Rokslider
I started with the RCBS and moved onto the Redding competition dies. I am shooting VLD in my 7 rem mag. Changed out the seating stem to vld stem. Getting more consistent seatings.

And if you want to use a resized with a bushing. Measure a loaded round and subtract .001-.002 from that neck size for your correct bushing.

SDHNTR

WKR
For hunting, you want to FL size. I started with RCBS basic cheap dies and they work fine, but I soon started to demand more precision. That turned into a never ending rabbit hole, chasing perfection, which doesn’t exist. So I came back up out of the hole and realized that all things considered, Forster Benchrest dies offer the best balance for my needs. If I could do it all over again, that’s all I’d buy. Simple, easy to use, no bushings or extra steps needed, cost effective.

OP
B
It kind of sounds like I don't need to overthink things. Keep it basic. Thanks for all your feedback everyone.