REI Return Policy- No more lifetime satisfaction guarantee

TXCO

WKR
Dont know if y'all saw it, but REI sent out a letter yesterday limiting returns to purchases made in the last year instead of a lifetime satisfaction guarantee. Here is a link to the revised policy- http://www.rei.com/help/guarantee.html

Im curious to see what it does to their sales because many of us have bought gear there knowing we had the ability to return if something went wrong or it didnt perform in the expected manner. I think they'll fall victim to internet shopping now.

100% Satisfaction Guaranteed
We stand behind everything we sell. If you are not satisfied with your REI purchase, you can return it for a replacement or refund. Items must be returned within a year of purchase, except items purchased from REI-OUTLET which must be returned within 30 days of purchase.

REI’s guarantee doesn’t cover ordinary wear and tear or damage caused by improper use or accidents.

If your item has a manufacturing defect in its materials or workmanship, you can return it at any time. See our limited warranty.

You can return or exchange purchases from REI or REI-OUTLET by mail or at any of our retail locations, regardless of whether you made your purchase online, by phone or in an REI store.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Yeah I saw that....I can see why, but it kind of sucks still...Cabelas is looking better all the time ;)

kuhn4

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know what Cabelas current return policy is, but they also limited it about 5 years ago.

Beastmode

WKR
I can definitely see why they did this looking at it from a business perspective but it does stink. I bought quite a few things from them that cost a little more than somewhere else because of the guarantee.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I don't know what Cabelas current return policy is, but they also limited it about 5 years ago.

I took back 2 Jet boil SOL ti stoves yesterday. The conductor on the bottom had melted on one and fallen off on the other.

Anyway, I called Jet boil and they do not warranty those issues, so I headed to REI...... no go on return!

Sucks, but I understand why they would change to a year and feel that's more than enough time for 100% satisfaction/ return.

Mckinnon

WKR
I agree, 1 year is plenty and it should alleviate the return stock they get of people wrecking their gear and then returning it after 5 or 10 years.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A year should be plenty. If there really is an issue with a product a year of use should find it

jherald

WKR
Aran that sucks! You'd think they would have given up a little wiggle room on the new pilicy for issues like that. I'm surprised jetboil didnt do anything for you.

mtbshark

WKR
Yeah I saw that....I can see why, but it kind of sucks still...Cabelas is looking better all the time ;)

unfortunately Cabelas changed their policy a couple of years back. they have a 90 day guarantee on all goods except on Cabelas branded clothing and footwear, which is lifetime.

Shrek

WKR
Aron , on the bright side you are in a rare position to herald Jetboil's poor performance to thousands of their target customers. Conductors melting and/or coming off of a stove is a serious defect in the design.

You guys might want to check out backcountry.com if you havn't. i don't know how prices are compaired to REI but they have unlimited lifetime warranty.

unfortunately Cabelas changed their policy a couple of years back. they have a 90 day guarantee on all goods except on Cabelas branded clothing and footwear, which is lifetime.

I just returned a pair of Irish Setter boots that I purchased from Cabelas on July 30th, 2012 as they started leaking. They had no issue and promptly sent me a new pair.

Floorguy

WKR
Seeing some of the stuff that they took back it was obvious the return policy was getting abused. A pair of asolos getting returned with no tread on the bottom because it was walked off and eyelets missing. Obviously the lifetime had been met...of the boot. That's just ridiculous, with that type of crap happening the surprising thing is that the policy lasted that long.

Arons experience is a black eye for jetboil IMO I have enough reports about the jetboil SOLti that not only should they warranty it their should be a voluntary recall. The ring melting off is probably the single biggest reason to not buy the ti model.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
REI was very cool about everything and I have ZERO issues with them. As Floorguy stated, the return policy gets abused (I'm guilty as well) and 1 year is plenty.

I was surprised a Jetboil and the response I got, but they don't know me from Adam, so I didn't try and make a case for special treatment (I've sold a lot of them).

KMT

WKR
That's a bummer. But, I think their policy was being abused. At their garage sales, I would often see worn out shoes and obviously 5-10 year old gear that was returned. I do specifically shop there because if their guaranty, though. Not to abuse the policy, but because REI can be quite a bit more responsive than many manufacturers.