Region H last season...

Cowbell

WKR
I would like to PM with someone that hunted Region H last year to get their experience / don't need locations. I've hunted G multiple times but my wife has enough points to draw H this year and I want you make sure it's worth the crowds and tough terrain, etc.

TodOz

FNG
I'm looking at Region H for next year so I'm also interested in hearing about experiences.

Do the same thing you did in G. There aren’t quite as many high peaks. Get up on the main ridges and be a little mobile and glass your ass off. Keep in mind rifle elk starts September 26 in some places up there. I’d be as far from a road as possible by then.

I am thinking about going to H this year and was curious how this season went for everyone that posted on here and if anyone was able to share any information. I have been wanting to hunt region H for a long time because my uncle lives outside of Jackson and I grew up seeing pictures and hearing the stories. Unfortunately, he's too old to go out with us at this point so all he can do is point me in the right direction I don't want to go the guided route so I won't be able to hunt wilderness. I have 11 points but my hunting partner only has 6 which puts us too low to draw G. My main concern is figuring out if H is worth hunting and if I can't hunt the wilderness. Depending on if I decide to put in for it I will be heading over a couple of times this summer to scout. Any input is appreciated.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Not being a smart alec, but if you’re “200 or bust” go elsewhere.

Those days have passed from a practical standpoint.

Happy with a nice buck? You’ll prolly like it. But pressure can be mind blowing, especially first week.

Hunted this year. Scouting before season key.

I stay out of wilderness because I’m non-res so hard to tell what I’m missing.

I always say this, but I’ll say it again. Handful of bucks “would be darn close to shooters” “””next year”””. But I always say, usually, when I’m hunting. Cause we are always looking for the one we haven’t seen.

I’ve been told “trophy deer” are always “there”. Ya just gotta find em. And I believe it.

Hard work, lots of miles, good glass and techniques will put you in a position to see as many bucks as you can in your time.

Then it’s up to you to do the trigger pulling.

Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are bucks in H that compare in size to G. Just not as many and they aren’t talked about as much.

Region G buck from this season. Sorry about the pic it was sent to me via text from a biologist.
FEF070AC-51C6-44D2-98F4-A2BEF3EF575A.jpeg

I plan on going there this coming year to see what’s it’s all about as well. I’ve done research and talked with others about what to expect feel free to PM me also open to anyone out there with any info. Like Robby said 200 or bust go home I have heard that too..but wondering what the 170 180ish odds are like these days