Reed calls

Not looking to get into a deep discussion on it, but have decided to go away from Phelps calls since they’re joining with M.E. / Chernin.

Have always used the black amp reed as it’s been the most consistent for me.

I purchased a new tube from Rocky Mountain but the reeds don’t seem to fit me as well. Maybe just relearning a new call.

But anyone here that has a favorite reed they use? I’m mostly doing cow sounds and the occasional softer bugle as most of my hunting is pre and very early rut activity. Most bulls are talking but not ready to go nuts. Plus in some areas I hunt they are very bugle shy but the cows/calves aren’t.

Thanks

OP. I had a heck of a time trying to get anything but the Rocky Mountain Calls to work when they used the plastic domes and used their mid sized frame calls.

When they went to metal domes i panicked a little as the sound wasn't what i experienced with the plastic. I'd tried Phelps too, same issue.

UNTIL, with nothing to lose I took the metal dome Rocky Mountain Calls and very gingerly placed it on a hard surface and used my thumb to flatten the dome. Better. With more experimentation, the calls improved. Small incremental changes improved tone quality significantly. Tried some Phelps calls, voila, better sound.

Try adjusting those Rocky Mountain reeds. Maybe you need tape trimmed, or the frame arched a little, or just a slightly flatter dome.

Now, if from the package I don't like the tone, I adjust the call. If i ruin a new to me call, so what, I'm not going to return it and it didn't work to start with.

Might be worth a try.

OP
E
OP. I had a heck of a time trying to get anything but the Rocky Mountain Calls to work when they used the plastic domes and used their mid sized frame calls.

When they went to metal domes i panicked a little as the sound wasn't what i experienced with the plastic. I'd tried Phelps too, same issue.

UNTIL, with nothing to lose I took the metal dome Rocky Mountain Calls and very gingerly placed it on a hard surface and used my thumb to flatten the dome. Better. With more experimentation, the calls improved. Small incremental changes improved tone quality significantly. Tried some Phelps calls, voila, better sound.

Try adjusting those Rocky Mountain reeds. Maybe you need tape trimmed, or the frame arched a little, or just a slightly flatter dome.

Now, if from the package I don't like the tone, I adjust the call. If i ruin a new to me call, so what, I'm not going to return it and it didn't work to start with.

Might be worth a try.

I’ve never tried shaping any. I’ll have to try.

Thanks

Steven.Elmore

Lil-Rokslider
Not looking to get into a deep discussion on it, but have decided to go away from Phelps calls since they’re joining with M.E. / Chernin.

Have always used the black amp reed as it’s been the most consistent for me.

I purchased a new tube from Rocky Mountain but the reeds don’t seem to fit me as well. Maybe just relearning a new call.

But anyone here that has a favorite reed they use? I’m mostly doing cow sounds and the occasional softer bugle as most of my hunting is pre and very early rut activity. Most bulls are talking but not ready to go nuts. Plus in some areas I hunt they are very bugle shy but the cows/calves aren’t.

Thanks
I try new calls every year but still go back to the old Carlton's. It may not sound as good as some of the others on the stage but when I'm out of breath on the side of the mountain it makes the most realistic sound for me.

OP
E
I try new calls every year but still go back to the old Carlton's. It may not sound as good as some of the others on the stage but when I'm out of breath on the side of the mountain it makes the most realistic sound for me.
Have to grab a couple

Go turkey hunting. Learn to call turkeys with a diaphragm call. Elk calling is easy compared to all the sounds you make turkey calling. After a while it will not matter what call manufacture you use. Pop the call in your mouth and go at it.
The car is the best place to practice. Just hammer on the calls everyday on your solo drives. Start now!

All I use are Carlton domes. Single for cow calling and double reed for bugling. Triple reed give a deeper sound but are hard to blow.

bentarrow

FNG
Most calls do the job. Think we r to anul on the sounds. Have heard elk make all kinds of calls. Find one u like and practice.

sivart

WKR
Who is M.E. / Chernin?

ElkNut
Paul, Chrenin is the company that bought Phelps, First Lite and Meat Eater. They have anti hunting and liberal ties. It's public knowledge they campaigned against predator hunting. I won't do business with any of them.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Not sure about anti predator when Phelps has a line of predator calls, not fan boy of any of them, Phelps is a goof, but I have killed a small pile of elk using his calls so I’m going to stick with em

I dont cow call much with a reed, but when i do, i use the same one i bugle with. Either the Carltons brown triple or the Native by Carlton brown triple.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use a myriad of them, but have been using reeds since 1986🤙 Experiment and find the ones that work for you. All palates are different and be sure to not use too much pressure. been using this one by corey The Challenger it is super crisp when you figure it out and makes the subtle come hither cow mews🤣🤙

Attachments

• 847F32B6-BBA6-4A4E-B90E-FB5A82A3101F.jpeg
    847F32B6-BBA6-4A4E-B90E-FB5A82A3101F.jpeg
    405.6 KB · Views: 8