Recommendations for new rest, and any other

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
So I have bow hunted casually for the last 30 years or so for whitetails back east, but the last few years I got into reloading and shooting longer distances with my rifle, so archery has taken a back seat, and I have not stayed up to date on it, however, I just committed to going after elk in Sept 2021 in Colorado with my bow, so now I am all jacked up about archery again....I had ordered a new string/cables late last year from 60X but they are still in the package.

My current set up:

2015 Elite Synergy RH 29" 70#
Carbon Express Pile Driver 350 w Slick Trick 100s
Trophy Ridge 3 Pin sight

My QAD rest that I bought when I got the bow will not stay up when I try to set it with my thumb, so I am taking my bow to a local shop in the next week or so to have them change the strings/cables, and figured I should get a new rest then as well, but am unsure between enclosed and drop away. After a couple of quick searches the 2 candidates are a whisker biscuit and the Hamskea Trinity, but am here for suggestions.

I have seen all the Iron Will stuff over the last year or so, and definitely plan on upgrading to those in 125 gr.......there is nothing wrong with my arrows as far as I know, other than that they are 5 years old and the vanes are a little dusty.

Please give me your recommendations on what rest you think is best for a backcountry elk hunt, and there any other upgrades or changes I should make

Thanks in advance

wera44

FNG
I was a big QAD fan but switched a few years ago to Vapor Trail Pro V and been really happy. I don't think you could go wrong either way.

Jsmith410

Lil-Rokslider
On my last couple bows I ran the QAD but this last one I switched to a Vapor Trail. I like both and would hesitate to get either again.

Yooper

WKR
Hamskea Hybrid Hunter. I prefer the microtune version but you can't go wrong with any of them. So simple and bullet proof!

Zac

WKR
If you don't do alot of in depth tuning, and you don't shoot past 60 yards you will probably not notice the difference between a Hamskea and a QAD. The Hamskea is going to be more durable and you won't have to deal with that horrible QAD felt either. However some quivers are unable to fit due to the size of a Hamskea. Also some people prefer not to have their tension cord on the side of their bow. I would tell you to use a Hamskea if you are a limb driver fan, and I would consider the AAE Prophecy if you wanted to go with a cable driver.

OldGrayJB

WKR
I would definitely stay away from the whisker biscuit. They don't usually tune well unless you have a short draw. At 29" you might have problems.

OP
Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks for the feedback. I just pulled the trigger on a Hamskea Trinity, and also a Spot Hogg Grinder 5 pin

Good choices. Keep the arrows they hit hard and no need to mess with your Broadheads unless you just feel like it. Iron Will doesn’t kill any better than your slick tricks and your arrows are plenty heavy. 125 might bump your FOC slightly but the arrow shafts themselves are so heavy 25 gr at the front won’t change the FOC % much.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If you call QAD they will probably send you a new rest. They have a lifetime warranty and their customer service is great.

I've tried several drop-aways.......Pro V, LD Pro, Hamskea, TT........but the QAD HDX I've had on my bow the last 5 years has been absolutely flawless. I love that thing. But I'm also one of those guys that runs with my bow in my hand with an arrow nocked when I need to. So I love the launcher in the up position.

Zac

WKR
Thanks for the feedback. I just pulled the trigger on a Hamskea Trinity, and also a Spot Hogg Grinder 5 pin
You might want to return the grinder. There is no 3rd axis on that sight. Definitely not a hunting sight.

If you call QAD they will probably send you a new rest. They have a lifetime warranty and their customer service is great.

I've tried several drop-aways.......Pro V, LD Pro, Hamskea, TT........but the QAD HDX I've had on my bow the last 5 years has been absolutely flawless. I love that thing. But I'm also one of those guys that runs with my bow in my hand with an arrow nocked when I need to. So I love the launcher in the up position.

Ditto on the QAD customer service. If a QAD rest has any issue they will send you a new one no matter how old. Hands down the best warranty on the market. I love a company that stands by their stuff. American made too.