Recoil lug bedding

PredatorX

WKR
You guys ever bed your recoil lug? I should say, ever bed one and lock it up?

First time I did it and man I'm nervous. I must have used too much jb weld because it seemed to run more then I thought. I used kiwi shoe polish as a release agent. The part I am worried about is the action screw. I coated it, but we shall see.

I read somewhere that you could place it in a freezer to break it loose. Hope it doesn't come to that.

Anyways, did you see an improvement after bedding your lug?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Hornady one shot is where it's at

A lot of times it'll take some force to release. Like really a lot of force.

I switched over to pulling trigger group so I don't accidentally break trigger shoe.

Yes, on improvement of accuracy.

I’ve bedded quite a few now. All have seen very measurable accuracy and consistency gains. Action screw shouldn’t be a problem if you coated it you can just unscrew it right out of the epoxy. Had a few tight ones but I’ve found clamping the barrel in a vice stock up and then pulling up on the forearm to work pretty well. Once In awhile it takes a couple good whacks on yourhand gripping stock forearm with the opposite palm to get it to pop loose.

I bedded the lug and tang of my ruger m77 Hawkeye in 35 whelen, it shrunk groups from an inch and a half to under 3/4 inch. I used the brownells accraglass gel kit and the provided release agent. It worked well, just needed a good whack of the barrel on the couch and it popped right out.

Wapiti1

WKR
If the screw is stubborn, whack the screwdriver with a hammer as you apply pressure to remove the screw. That will usually pop them free of the epoxy. Use a screwdriver that fits the screw head perfectly as well. I've also chucked a driver bit into a drill press and used it to apply downward force while I turned the quill with a wrench. Rifle is held in a well padded vise.

Jeremy

OP
PredatorX

PredatorX

WKR
So it came off ok. But I realized I screwed up and taped off behind the lug. Should have spent an extra day researching!

Not sure if it would be better to remove the bedding and redo it all or just place some bedding material behind the lug.

Cut it out and rebed it. If your try to rebed it will be way to thin behind the lug and just chip.
What brand and model is this? It’s best not to use action screws but studs instead.

So it came off ok. But I realized I screwed up and taped off behind the lug. Should have spent an extra day researching!

Not sure if it would be better to remove the bedding and redo it all or just place some bedding material behind the lug.

If the rest of the bedding looks good just remove the bedding behind the lug back to the stock material and then rough it up good and re-bed. If its going to be really thin remove more somewhere else so there is something to hold that part of the bedding in place.

Out of curiosity how did you bed it with the action screws? Did you torque it down to factory specs? snug it? hand tighten? etc....

If you torqued it down you could feasibly go back and rebed behind the lug, torque it down to the same ft/lbs and have a consistent plane from the old bedding to the new. otherwise it'll be tough to make it match up.

OP
PredatorX

PredatorX

WKR
I probably didn't need to mess with it but I can't leave well enough alone i guess. It's a CA Ridgeline that was shooting 3/4" with fairly minimal load work up.

I definitely did some things wrong in terms of how I bedded it. I did not apply the same torque to the action screws on both runs. Heck on one run I just used an Irwin clamp on the rail to hold the action in.

Without the action screws in, there is minimal movement or rocking when pressing down on the rear tang. Lateral movement is none and it is a pretty tight fit otherwise. Going to just shoot it and she how she does. Here is a pic.

b6ff3d218404f83192fc1d927933d33c.jpg