Recession Coming?

I work in a leading indicator industry (staffing) that is usually first to see a recession coming. Seems like many companies here in the Portland, OR market is slowing down on hiring and making cuts to staff. The IT sector seems to have been hit the hardest.

Are others around the country seeing the same thing? What are you experiencing locally?

There are 4 subdivsions with a couple blocks of my shop that have went through entitlements and are ready to build. All 4 have sat for sale for the last 6 months. There are 2 other taller apartment complexes that are sitting at about 50 percent complete with no work in the last 3 months being performed. Yet Boise real estate took another big jump last month. There are quite few developers that are getting quotes on underground work, but not pulling any triggers. Something feels off but you can't tell from the surface.

wyosteve

WKR
Helped my neighbor pick up some furniture yesterday from a couple that is moving. Their house sold in one day with 2 competing bidders in the high '$600's. No seeing a slowdown here.

TagEater

Lil-Rokslider
I worked in sales at a local manufacturing company. We sold discretionary/recreational products.
Over the last 6 months, I was seeing a MAJOR slowdown as folks did not have as much "fun money". This is further evidenced by consumer credit climbing:1684778470948.png
Needless to say, I jumped ship and am now working for a local utility company!

Every place in town has a help wanted sign in the window here. All my friends and family that have businesses in the L48 are begging for help. Both my wife and mine places of work are begging for help with numerous openings. Every add on the radio seems to be hospitals and construction companies begging for help with healthy sign on bonuses. The highways are once again FILLED with tour buses and RVs. Sorry about not keeping it political, but it matters to the discussion. Those are all red areas - locally and state.

There are two brand new developments with a view and great commute location here in town. I thought they would be slowing down, but now that the grounds is thawed, they are building as fast as ever. Building $600-$900K houses without buyers and don't seem to be having any issues moving them. If I were to guess, it's all the people fleeing out of North Seattle (Anchorage) to escape the dump it's turning into (political). I don't see any building going on there. On the same note, businesses slowing down hiring while they consider closing their doors in a city that has legalized theft, homelessness, and drug use isn't much of an indicator of anything IMO. That's the consequences of terrible social policy.

We will see. We've all said SHTF is coming for 3 years now. The same groceries I bought 3 years ago for $100 cost me $160 on Sunday. I can't even imagine how people are buying houses. And credit card and vehicle debt are at an all time high. All while wages remain largely unchanged. Makes no sense to me. I'm ready to jump on some deals if it does happen! I do thank my wife almost weekly for convincing me to buy a house in 2019!

I work in a very large industry thats very good ole boys at the top and I imagine has insider trading.

We went from basically 2.5 yrs of unlimited spending.
To shut it down entirely. Don't buy anything without permission. Minimum to just get buy.
Budget Budget budget.

I thought it was my work group.
But its company wide.

I think this winter will be harsh.

Last time we heard it like this. Was 2008

NRA4LIFE

WKR
And the estimates of inflation are utter BS. Seems like every time we go to the grocery store, the prices are higher, way higher. We just spent 6 days out at Ocean Shores, WA and needed a few supplies. Went to the local IGA and just about gagged at the prices. We left without buying anything and got by for a couple days on some canned food and clams we dug.

manitou1

WKR
Helped my neighbor pick up some furniture yesterday from a couple that is moving. Their house sold in one day with 2 competing bidders in the high '$600's. No seeing a slowdown here.
The real estate market here in our part of WY has slowed quite a bit now and for the first time in three years we are seeing sellers doing significant price drops after sitting on the market a bit.