Rebarreling options for .270 Win

OP
DawnPatrol
Thanks everyone!! I really appreciate people taking the the time to share info and perspectives.

Darryle

WKR
Classified Approved
Howdy everyone! Happy 2023.

I recently inherited my father in law’s Ruger m77 tang safety (1975 vintage) in .270 win. Cool old gun, with lots of family history.

I’d like it to be my daughter’s first big game rifle when she’s ready, but don’t really want to start her out with something as stout as a .270.

What lighter calibers can I rebarrel this gun into without having to change a bunch of stuff with the bolt/magazine etc?

Sorry for the noob question; I tried googling but maybe I’m not using the right terminology.

Thanks!!

Ask yourself if down the road your daughter wouldn't rather have the 270 with the history or a donor action?

Once you swap that barrel, that history is lost. Buy her a cheap Ruger American or Savage Axis and put this one away for her when she can handle 270 reduced recoil loads.

mitchellmountain

Lil-Rokslider
If reloading is not on the table then the swede becomes less of an easy voice but still plenty of ammo. Honestly you won't find reduced load 270( which is also a good option) any easier than swede ammo. And once you do, stock up on 4-5 boxes. Doesn't sound like she'll be a high volume shooter,, so there it is.

Unckebob

WKR
The last tube I had installed last year was right near $700. $330 for the tube, $300 contour, chamber and install, $50 shipping, ect… That’s for stainless. I chromoly tube could be cheaper in the white, but then you’d need it blued.

Like others have said, that’s pretty well a new gun.

You’d probably be better served to try something like this and if the gun likes it, buy a case and get your girl out practicing.

Pac-Nor would be an outfit to call if you decide on a barrel swap.

I don't think that is a legit Cabelas store. This is their legit site.https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/hornady-american-whitetail-centerfire-rifle-ammo

You are correct in that there are some low recoil factory loads available in 270 (and other cartridges).

letrbuck

WKR
Looks like you came to a conclusion, and with reduced recoil loads, that gun should be pretty tame. Those Rugers aren't featherweight rifles, which is nice when recoil is a factor. I killed my first critters as soon as I was old enough to hunt with an identical rifle (my dad's). Have fun passing on a great gun in a great clambering. 🙂

BjornF16

WKR
How well does it even shoot?

If it’s a shooter, then buy a Tikka T3X Lite in .223 REM 1:8” twist…will handle your listed game/distances and be a great learning gun. Check out the .223 on Deer, Elk Bear thread…

If that seems too small in caliber, then go with Tikka .243 Win

OP
DawnPatrol
How well does it even shoot?

If it’s a shooter, then buy a Tikka T3X Lite in .223 REM 1:8” twist…will handle your listed game/distances and be a great learning gun. Check out the .223 on Deer, Elk Bear thread…

If that seems too small in caliber, then go with Tikka .243 Win
TBD on accuracy. Haven’t made it to the range since Christmas time.

If it won’t shoot straight, the 243 is high on my list.

I don't think that is a legit Cabelas store. This is their legit site.https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/hornady-american-whitetail-centerfire-rifle-ammo

You are correct in that there are some low recoil factory loads available in 270 (and other cartridges).

You are correct. I looked at the home page for that site and the English is poor. They also have a short article and picture of Larry Potterfield. The site layout is a copy of MidwayUSA’s website.
I have no idea how I managed to navigate to that page.
Thanks for pointing that out.
I edited my post to remove that trash link.

If the accuracy is bad- rebarrel to a custom barrel.

I have had good luck with McGowens and very competitive prices. Very easy as well- just send the rifle in and they do it all in shop.

I still vote for the 25-06 especially if elk is on the table. The low end factory ammo has same recoil as the 243, but higher end packs more KE.

Also the quarter bore is just neat in its own right!

Seems more appropriate for that rifle. I never liked the idea of a short action cartridge on a Long action, seems like a waste. (Like a lot of Tikkas 😂)