Rebarreling options for .270 Win

Howdy everyone! Happy 2023.

I recently inherited my father in law’s Ruger m77 tang safety (1975 vintage) in .270 win. Cool old gun, with lots of family history.

I’d like it to be my daughter’s first big game rifle when she’s ready, but don’t really want to start her out with something as stout as a .270.

What lighter calibers can I rebarrel this gun into without having to change a bunch of stuff with the bolt/magazine etc?

Sorry for the noob question; I tried googling but maybe I’m not using the right terminology.

Thanks!!

You want a long action that’s less kick than a 270?
Or your thinking of running a short action chambering in a long action?

Maybe go 6mm-06, or just load down the 270 with light bullets.

Anything that you’re going to get to feed well in the LA isn’t going to be much lighter recoil than a 270. Also not a lot of gunsmiths working on those.

Reduced recoil ammo is available and a lot more economical than a rebarrel. That’s a better option. Another better option would be spending $400 or so on an budget youth rifle in 243 or something until she grows into that, not as economical as reduced recoil ammo but still the cost of the barrel blank alone not to mention machine work.

Personally, I wouldn’t change anything about that rifle, it’s now an heirloom. I would either use low recoil loads or get another rifle.
If your like me though. Your end up with a safe full of heirlooms that are just in the way.
I've got at least 6 rifles that will never get used unless I modify them.
So isn't a heirloom that is modified and used better then one that sits in the safe?

N2TRKYS

WKR
If your like me though. Your end up with a safe full of heirlooms that are just in the way.
I've got at least 6 rifles that will never get used unless I modify them.
So isn't a heirloom that is modified and used better then one that sits in the safe?

That’s your fault. I use mine.

That’s your fault. I use mine.
You must of got better hand me downs.
Any your style must be more similarly matched to who you got them from.
Almost all of what I have is of no appeal to me. No way I would buy them.
And I don't get enough tags to use them all anyways.

As mentioned the 25-06 is what you are looking for.

As a side though they do make reduced loads as mentioned for the 270, and also sell 100 gr corelock ammo that kicks less.

For the 25-06 go with a 85 gr or lighter bullet for deer

Last edited:

N2TRKYS

WKR
You must of got better hand me downs.
Any your style must be more similarly matched to who you got them from.
Almost all of what I have is of no appeal to me. No way I would buy them.
And I don't get enough tags to use them all anyways.

Some are, some aren’t. I wouldn’t dream of changing them either way. Some folks don’t care about that, I always have.

Some are, some aren’t. I wouldn’t dream of changing them either way. Some folks don’t care about that, I always have.
There some i won't change.
But others I wonder wtf they were thinking. Why did they buy that.
I won't change my 1903 but its also not really gonna get used, because I see it as limiting my opertunity.

OP
DawnPatrol
You want a long action that’s less kick than a 270?
Or your thinking of running a short action chambering in a long action?

Maybe go 6mm-06, or just load down the 270 with light bullets.
The goal is to have something that doesn’t kick as much, but can still be a good gun for deer/elk/black bear within 300 yards.

If using a short action chambering is not going to require other changes to the gun (and be safe, etc) I’m open to it. Just trying to explore my options.

It’s probably obvious, but I’m bumping up against the outer limits of my firearms knowledge, so I appreciate your input!

OP
DawnPatrol
Personally, I wouldn’t change anything about that rifle, it’s now an heirloom. I would either use low recoil loads or get another rifle.
I appreciate what you are saying. There’s a part of me that wants to just keep it how it is, use it as a backup to my big game rifle, and maybe hand it down when/if my daughter wants a grown up gun.

But I’m not sure I’m that sentimental, and much more importantly, neither is my father in law who gave it to me.

If I barrel it down, I guess I could always put the old barrel back on someday, right?