Realistic expectation with one of these?

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all,

Just bought my first in-line muzzle loader.
Traditions Pursuit XT. 26” barrel 1:24.

Plan to use a 300 grain bullet as long is it groups well. Or the 290 grain Barnes.

Can use the Hodges’s pyrodex pellets, triple seven or a load of BH209, again depending on what shoots well.

Using iron sites and assuming I can hit what I’m shooting at, is this a realistic 200 yard weapon on elk sized game? Again assuming all the unknown variables are accounted for and the elk is in the clear and broadside and all that good stuff. Can I expect and efficient ethical kill?

I’m asking now as to start building my expectations. I do have access to a chrono and could will shoot to see about speeds and whatnot.

Thanks.

Operator

Lil-Rokslider
I have a different muzzleloader an inline knight revolution discontinued, I shoot a barnes 290 tipped on top of 120gr tripple seven about 1850fps thru chony, could load hotter, 150gr probably 2000fps but will really kick, but it is a good accurate load. As for 200yd open sight maybe if you get a peep for rear of the action for an extended sight radius. I have a 50cal. Hawken that I installed a peep sight behind the action really helped with accuracy at 100yds.
I think tripple seven or BH209 will be the best choice for performance.

Scoutfarm

FNG
I think your limitations will be in sight choice, not ballistics. Should easily be able to exceed 1500 ft lbs of energy at 200 yards.

My front sight on my White muzzleloader covers 10” of the target at 100 yards. I had to train myself to start shooting with a six o’clock hold so I can see the vitals in my sight picture.

I use a Lyman 57 rear sight.

Biggie

FNG
If it'll shoot then yes. No matter what I did with mine with various loads, scopes, etc... it shot minute of cow out to 100yds, minute of elephant past that. Sold it to a guy for $75 and said have at it. Buddy has the same gun and regularly shoots deer at 200+. Bullet wise the 290 barnes gets my vote.

Dbat

FNG
I've had noting but good luck using BH 209. I measure it by volume not by weight.

huck

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot a Traditions Tracker ,120gr. of 777 by volume. Hornady SST 250 or 300 gr. Put on a decent williams peep. confident to 200yd. 250s shoot 6in. higher than 300s for me. I dont mix and match ,I pick one for the year and stay with it.