rangefinder on backpack

ridgefire

WKR
Not sure what forum to put this in so posting it here. How does everybody carry their rangefinder on their backpack? I always keep mine on my pack belt in its case but looking for a better tethering system. Right now i just use a piece of Paracord that i tie to the rangefinder and my pack belt that is long enough that i can use it but not have to worry about setting it down and then forgetting about it and losing it. Only problem i have is that the Paracord will get snagged up in branches/bushes. What's a better alternative? A little retractable or one of the s4 sidewinder things or something else?

jmez

WKR
I don't carry mine on my pack but on my bino harness with the FHF system. They sell a pouch and a small shock cord that attaches the rangefinder to the case. Good system.

I don't carry mine on my pack but on my bino harness with the FHF system. They sell a pouch and a small shock cord that attaches the rangefinder to the case. Good system.

This is what I use as well. Drop your pack and you still have your RF in perfect location to draw and range. I love the FHF RF pouch and use it on both my Kuiu and FHF Bino harnesses.

OP
R

ridgefire

WKR
Maybe i will look into the fhf system. Anybody have any complaints about this setup? Looks pretty solid.

FHF works great for me. If you use a belt pouch get the long lanyard from FHF. I use that for my gps in my belt pouch and it works great.

I bought the FHF system last fall. I reallly like it. You don't want your rangefinder on your pack, because if you choose to dump it then you have to mess with pulling the rangefinder off and re-attaching it. Or, you forget that it's on your pack and wish you had it.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I will buck the trend and say having seen and tried on the FHF with the rangefinder pouch attached I felt it was a bit more gimmicky than having it all in one pouch like the Alaska Guide Creations. But thats why there are so many great options out there, one to fit what different people like/prefer.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
But thats why there are so many great options out there, one to fit what different people like/prefer.

Ya. I prefer this little creation where someone sewed extra material onto the front of my pants right below my beltline. They keep all kinds of stuff if I want, but the left one is for my RF.:)

Randle

WKR
I have been using the crooked horn rangefinder pouch hooked on to my bino pro horizontal strap. The CH stays open and also has an elastic strap that hooks to the verticle starps that retains the RF

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Ya. I prefer this little creation where someone sewed extra material onto the front of my pants right below my beltline. They keep all kinds of stuff if I want, but the left one is for my RF.:)

HAHA...that'll work too! Though I keep snacks in mine ;)

dotman

WKR
Only thing I don't like about the AGC is how huge it is, even with my FHF setup with the rangfider attached, it seems small compared the AGC. But then again I have a small FHF case with rangefinder pouch and was comparing it to the normal size AGC.

neverquit

WKR
I also keep my on a bino harness. I tether it to the top loop on a kuiu bino harness then it clip it to the side mess pocket. It's stays handy yet out of the way and quiet.

Johnboy

WKR
I picked up a Range Snap this winter from this company: http://store.coueswhitetail.com/range-snap-1/. I haven't used it yet, but it get good reviews. It's looks much less cumbersome than the other options suggested above. Granted, I have yet to use any of these products, so the jury's still out for me.

BeWitty

Lil-Rokslider
I also use the AGC system. My RF fits perfect in the front pocket. I swapped the buckle (loud) with a magnet. Could the magnet hurt the electronic RF?

neverquit

WKR
I also use the AGC system. My RF fits perfect in the front pocket. I swapped the buckle (loud) with a magnet. Could the magnet hurt the electronic RF?
I don't know but the crooked horn bino harness uses a magnet Sheath to attach the rf to the bino harness

I bow hunt so need to minimize any movement. For that reason I use a lanyard around my neck with the RF in my breast pocket...very little motion to access it and put it away and it stays quiet. If I drop my pack I have my RF. No need to add ounces to your pack by adding a carrier and zero chance of losing it. You can barely see the lanyard and Leica in my front pocket. My binos hang closer to my belly.

Last edited:
OP
R

ridgefire

WKR
I don't mind having my binocs on my chest but not sure how i would like extra stuff on it. Im not to worried about having it on my pack because i very rarely take it off while I'm hunting. Im thinking a little retractable will work good. Maybe attach it in a way i can easily take it off if needed. Are the fhf covers water proof or resistant. Hate tucking my binos inside my jacket if it's raining.