Rangefinder binos

amassi

WKR
I've spent the last 2 years using separate zeiss binos and a sig abs rangefinder. Works great for me but I miss the simplicity of rangefinder binos. Previously had zeiss which I was happy with. Of the alpha binos Zeiss, leica, swarovski is there any appreciable difference in processing time, Bluetooth connection etc.
I'm looking specifically at the
Leica 3200.com
Zeiss victory rf
Swarovski el range
All in 10x42

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Shraggs

WKR
The ZEISS, once scanned it provides data in about half a second. You can program either 2 or 3 data sources. I choose yards to target in case I need manual app use first, second is clicks up, last is horizontal yards angle compensated for wind calculation. They flash in sequence half second apart. You can change the order too.

OP
amassi

amassi

WKR
The ZEISS, once scanned it provides data in about half a second. You can program either 2 or 3 data sources. I choose yards to target in case I need manual app use first, second is clicks up, last is horizontal yards angle compensated for wind calculation. They flash in sequence half second apart. You can change the order too.
I had the zeiss, loved em got talked out of them and went back to separate units. I enjoyed the 1 unit simplicity for rifle hunting and want to go back. Wondering if there's any competition from swaro or leica

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I had the zeiss, loved em got talked out of them and went back to separate units. I enjoyed the 1 unit simplicity for rifle hunting and want to go back. Wondering if there's any competition from swaro or leica

I won’t say they’re “better”, however the Leica Geovid Pro’s are becoming my favorite.

OP
amassi

amassi

WKR
I won’t say they’re “better”, however the Leica Geovid Pro’s are becoming my favorite.
Whats setting them apart? Ease of use, form factor, processing speed? Leica definitely has the most comfortable design for my hands

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Whats setting them apart? Ease of use, form factor, processing speed? Leica definitely has the most comfortable design for my hands

Image is very good, laser is good, the last few years the Leicas that I e used have done well in cold weather…. but it’s really the size and form. They aren’t that much smaller on paper, but are noticeably less bulky than any others.

Colby

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll throw this in for what’s it’s worth, tha last couple years I’ve been using the geovid R.
They are priced pretty competitive, The glass is very good to my eye, the laser works plenty far for my shooting, and they are fairly compact.
I’m sure there are others that are way better but I’m pretty happy with these for now.

Ucsdryder

WKR
One of my biggest issues is getting a range on an animal, let’s say an antelope at 1000 yards. It’s easy to “miss”. Any of them have specific technology to make them more “accurate”, and I mean helping the person hit the target with the lazer.

texag10

WKR
Image is very good, laser is good, the last few years the Leicas that I e used have done well in cold weather…. but it’s really the size and form. They aren’t that much smaller on paper, but are noticeably less bulky than any others.
What are you losing compared to say, the 10x42 3200.com in light gathering in those last few minutes?

Have used both. To be clear, it’s still with what I would consider relatively little use so far.
I’m curious to see how they work in the 15° to 0°F range. One advantage to a standard rangefinder I’ve found hunting in those temps is that you can throw the rangefinder in a pocket so it doesn’t cold soak, while still glassing with binos. If the electronics in these have improved to a point where they can still work in those temps for extended periods, then there isn’t really any advantage to a solo rangefinder unit IMO.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’m curious to see how they work in the 15° to 0°F range. One advantage to a standard rangefinder I’ve found hunting in those temps is that you can throw the rangefinder in a pocket so it doesn’t cold soak, while still glassing with binos. If the electronics in these have improved to a point where they can still work in those temps for extended periods, then there isn’t really any advantage to a solo rangefinder unit IMO.

The issue is that when you heat the RF up, if you’re using it for ballistics, then the data will be wildly off.

The issue is that when you heat the RF up, if you’re using it for ballistics, then the data will be wildly off.
Currently, in really cold temps I typically just pull the rangefinder out of jacket, range, then reference a hard data card on my arm made for those temps/conditions. It’s not far off from how I would in a field match. It’s usually too cold to be playing around with a kestrel or phone.

I’ve never heard of what you’ve mentioned here. So if you’re using your body heat/insulation to keep them warm/prevent cold soaking, then expose them to the outside environment to range, the number will be incorrect? I had no idea this was a thing.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I used my ZEISS RFs on an antelope hunt, temps in the 90s with no issues, might be worth putting them in the fridge to cool them, range something and then hit them with a warm hair dryer to see if there’s a ballistics change. You threw out quite a generalization. Are you talking about any rf (range finder), the ZEISS model specifically, rf binoculars vs regular range finders? Does dropping them change the ballistics?

A lot of the newer RF's measure atmospheric pressure and temperature. If you prevent it from "cold soaking" your ballistic profile will be wrong.
Ah gotcha. I really hope the electronics on this new Leica can take very cold temps. I’ll be watching carefully to see how Form’s testing and feedback goes.