Range finding question.

Tyler455

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe I need to be schooled on a better procedure, but I find the biggest hassle of bow hunting is ranging the animal, timing it correctly, drawing and then possibly needing to repeat.

I will partially blame my poor procedure on loosing an epic bull because he came in so hot and closed so much distance. Right passed my pre ranged bushes.

Why aren’t bow mounted rang finders more prevalent? I don’t need a sight to adjust my point of aim for me. It would just be so nice to be able to range at draw and then pick the appropriate pin. Boom.

OP
T

Tyler455

Lil-Rokslider
So is it the bow mounted part or the reticle that adjusts to the range or both that are foul?

OP
T

Tyler455

Lil-Rokslider
Ohhhh. Thank you. I guess that clears that up for me.

Maybe I have terrible technique but it seems like some sort of bow mounted ranging device would produce more ethical kills and less missed shots

As with any technological advancement, a bow mounted ranging device would lead to more ethical kills and less missed shots for some hunters but would also entice some hunters to push their limits that much further and take marginal shots that they might have passed up without the extra technological advantage. Arguing for technology on an ethical basis is a tough sell because 1) ethics are highly subjective and 2) wherever the line is drawn on equipment technology, some percentage of hunters will always be flirting with the boundaries of "ethical" use (however you define that) of their equipment. At the risk of sounding like a Luddite, I personally would rather see states take steps toward making archery hunting harder, not easier.

4rcgoat

WKR
^^^^^^ what these gentlemen are saying is spot on. Archery is supposed to be difficult, that's why we do it. Practice range estimation and learn your equipment like the back of your hand.

OP
T

Tyler455

Lil-Rokslider
So you all helped me identify my weakness and where I need to work. I can shoot. Pretty good actually. I can’t range with out technology 😂.

sndmn11

WKR
It would also be wise to practice with the wrong pin. This will let you know what unknown distance shot will challenge your ethical principles and which won't.

Shoot a a 30 yard target with 20/40 pins and see if the two arrows fall into an elk's lungs. Then 25/35 holds, etc.

Learning your window will help you understand the tolerances for you and your setup for when you pre-ranged and the animal didn't follow the plan.

LostArra

WKR
You might try this out in the off season. It has worked perfectly for me while elk hunting. I don't use it for deer

I also have a hard time estimating range on elk because of their size compared to the deer I hunt and see everyday.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
So you all helped me identify my weakness and where I need to work. I can shoot. Pretty good actually. I can’t range with out technology 😂.
I hear you. And the mountains can play a lot of tricks on you in regards to distances. Just practicing I've been in disbelief many times at what my RF is telling me, and I have to walk it off......and then I don't even want to believe the walk-off distance sometimes.

I've missed my fair share of deer and elk due to misjudged distance. I carry a handheld rangefinder when bowhunting and use it when possible, but I also practice judging yardage without it. Periodically guessing then ranging various objects when walking around in the woods helps. Shooting an unmarked 3D course without a rangefinder (or at least guessing the yardage then checking prior to shooting) is a good way to test your abilities. Range estimation is a weakness for me too...just part of the fun/challenge of bowhunting.