Range finding binoculars worth the extra money?

Elite

WKR
I currently have some swaro SLC 10x42 and currently looking to upgrade my range finder. Wondering if the range finding binos are worth it and if it would make sense to sell the SLCs and buy new binos with the range finding built into them. I have been looking at the new Leica geovid pros and definitely like the tracking part off it and being able to mark on the map but wondering how well that works with no cell service on google maps? I also would like a ballistic calculator that would show how much to dial for MOA. Also wondering how they work with a 10x for close ranging on deer for archery hunting? Any issues at the real close distance?

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’m a big fan of my ZEISS rf’s. I’ve used them for archery, so pretty darn close, but prefer just a regular rangefinder.

You have to define what "worth it" is to you. Pros and cons to either set up. Some like it and some do not.

huntnful

WKR
The Zeiss are the superior RF bino. But I definitely don’t recommend them for archery hunting. Too much magnification, bulk, and large movements for when you’re in tight and trying to get an unnoticeable range on animals.

Curmudgeon

Lil-Rokslider
I use a pair of Leica 10x42 3200.Com's for rifle hunting which are about the same weight and dimensions as the Geovid Pros. For the distances involved in rifle hunting I think they are great but for archery hunting I think they are too cumbersome with too much magnification and I go to some Leica compacts and a standard range finder.

WMag338

WKR
My unprofessional opinion:

I have both a RF Bino (10x42 Swaro EL Range) and handheld Leica CRF. For almost any hunting I'm doing, I have the bino's with me regardless of them having the RF feature on them. The RF feature is a nice bonus because my binos are a 10x whereas my handheld CRF is only a 7x so you can more accurately range targets at longer distances. However, for archery, you cannot easily single handhold the bino to get an accurate range. My Leica CRF's are a superior rangefinder than the binos and is very quick and seamless.

Also, its much easier for me to range archery distances with a 7x magnification than a 10x.

For rifle hunting, I found the RF Binos to be more useful. When I'm scanning the terrain for animals then judging the size of the animal preparing to make a stalk or not, it's nice to quickly range and get a distance without having to swap over from the binos to the CRF.

etapia

Lil-Rokslider
For archery where ranging if often done with one hand, I’d go with a separate rangefinder. Longer range rifle hunting the all in one option makes a lot of sense. Just gotta decide which scenario you’re more likely to be in. I personally stick to a dedicated range finder for the versatility.

depends on how far you shoot. i find a bino unit much easier to range over 400 yards, then the littke hand helds

rootacres

WKR
This one is tough. If you have it in the budget, for rifle hunting they have been awesome for me. I was on a solo coues hunt, being able to locate and range the deer without taking my eyes off if it was very helpful. I went Leica Geovid 10x42. That said, I still archery hunt with a handheld. 10x in archery range, in the deer woods, it didn't work well for me. I much preferred the 4x/6x of a handheld.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We sell both the Leica Geovids and the Zeiss RF and I would say 100% they are worth the money. If you decide to go down the rabbit hole drop us a PM.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Zeiss are the superior RF bino. But I definitely don’t recommend them for archery hunting. Too much magnification, bulk, and large movements for when you’re in tight and trying to get an unnoticeable range on animals.
I agree 100%

Up until recently I would say no but things are changing. Seemed in the past you always had to give something up to get the RF feature on binos. So I alway had separate binos and RF. Im seriously considering going RF binos when I upgrade my ELs. If .i ever do.

stevevan

WKR
Up until recently I would say no but things are changing. Seemed in the past you always had to give something up to get the RF feature on binos. So I alway had separate binos and RF. Im seriously considering going RF binos when I upgrade my ELs. If .i ever do.
I was in the same boat as you. I took the leap and bought a pair of RF Binos. Love them and won't go back.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I was in the same boat as you. I took the leap and bought a pair of RF Binos. Love them and won't go back.
Even the Swarovski are up to par wit Leica and Zeiss now, and if you don't want to spend 3-4k the Hawke, SIG and Vortex will all get the job done for sure.

KingGus

WKR
I prefer the EL ranges to the Zeiss rfs, mainly because of the field flattener lens in the ELs. For archery, I found the RF binos awkward, so I use a small Leupold x6 RF for that