Rain Jacket Already Wetting Out...

Use HH like a proper Alaskan and not the <insert brand of choice> preferred by those in the Lower 49.

This is more for the benefit of other readers:
This - HH is the way to go if you want to stay dry.

Rubbers don't work great when you're hiking hard. If it's other types of HH I could give them a whirl.
So no matter what you are going to find something to gripe about.

Channel your inner grouchiness and create your own rain gear that is 100% waterproof and provides 100% breathability. Even if you were successful in bringing this unicorn to market, you'd likely still find something to gripe about.

Reactions: OMB
OP
H
So no matter what you are going to find something to gripe about.

Channel your inner grouchiness and create your own rain gear that is 100% waterproof and provides 100% breathability. Even if you were successful in bringing this unicorn to market, you'd likely still find something to gripe about.
******* eh'. Just answer my original question and stop being a bitch.

Only thing waterproof is rubber. As described above HH makes a great rubber trench coat, but yes, you can’t do any sort of active hunting/hiking in it as there is zero breathability.

ALL other brand technologies (DWR, Gore-Tex, etc) will eventually wet out. In a true down pour, less than half a day would be an over estimate in how long they last.

In my opinion, I think that’s sweat from the inside not water soaked through, but it could be.

The realistic expectation is it will all soak through, unless it’s rubber, at some point.

Htm84

WKR
******* eh'. Just answer my original question and stop being a bitch.
Yes that’s normal. All rain gear wets out eventually unless it’s rubber. Stop being a cheechako and get some HH or grundens.

Is that helpful enough?

OP
H
Yes that’s normal. All rain gear wets out eventually unless it’s rubber. Stop being a cheechako and get some HH or grundens.

Is that helpful enough?
Yes, already got rubbers, was hoping for something else when I'm not in the SE.

Wearing the jacker twice and having the DWR already wearing out seems to be a little short lived to me.

Rubbers don't work great when you're hiking hard. If it's other types of HH I could give them a whirl.

Generally if you're hiking you're sweating. In high humidity environments you can't necessarily blame the garmet for not working. If you're hiking fully clothed beneath your rain gear, you're going to reach a saturation point where your garments are soaked and there is more moisture than shell can wick away. When hiking you'll want to have some sort of wool/synthetic blend that buffers you from contact with the outer shell and NOTHING else.. I'm basically talking about hiking in your rain jacket rain pants and only long johns on underneath.

Wet face fabric does not make one hypothermic.

DWR beads water so it will roll off but does not allow water through the semi-permeable membrane.

Last edited:
OP
H
Wet face fabric does not make one hypothermic.

DWR beads water so it will roll off but does not allow water through the semi-permeable membrane.
Leaking fabric does. I'm wanting to know if the DWR failing immediately is a bad sign.