Rain Gear

Jqlarson

FNG
I got rained on in 30-40 degree weather enough this year and am going to bite the bullet on some rain gear. I hunt whitetail tree saddle style but am motivated to get into western hunting in the near future as well. I want something that can fit the bill for both. Almost jumped on some Black Friday kuiu, skre, or first lite deals but decided to take some time to figure out what I really want. Any advice on rain too and bottoms for hunting would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a set of original Kuiu Chugach 8 years ago and it's still in great shape. Probably needs a fresh dwr treatment but that's it. The material, zippers, snaps, draw strings are still solid. Love how stretchy this rain gear is when crawling through the thick stuff. In my experience it's a good balance of durability and packability, and has kept me mostly dry through some horrendous weather in the Oregon coast range. With that said, I've been craving something slightly more durable that I don't feel the need to baby quite as much in the brush. Couldn't resist the winter sale going on right now and pulled the trigger on a Kutana set. Fingers crossed its as reliable as the tried and true Chugach.

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
I started using the stretchy grundens which they don't make anymore, at least not in green I don't think. It works, it's light and cheap. You wet out from the inside backpack hunting tho.

I tried my father in laws kuiu yukon on a rainy day and wasn't impressed, I got soaked to the arm pits. Not sure if it has something to do with that rubber cuff.

Either way I pulled the trigger on stone glacier m5 here a few years ago. It's been up in Alaska range for moose and sheep as well as blacktal ik SE. It has been very good for me. Durable, fairly quiet, breathable.

But I haven't tried anything else so can't do a comparison.

Macro

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the uninsulated challenger suit last year and love it! Only tested it out a few times in rain, but on windy days it blocks the wind from bothering you

Bump79

WKR
I am in a similar boat. I am from MT and hunt out west every year but now live in Kentucky. The needs for whitetail and western style hunting is really different. I'd say generally there is a lot of overlap but a rain jacket I'd love out west often doesn't make the cut here. Same for whitetail gear, which seems to be more cultural than actual needs based to be honest.

I tried many rain jackets out of the last few years. Kuiu Chugach, Yukon, SKRE Nebo and looked at Sitka at stores. I finally got the Pnuma 3L rain jacket and it really fit the bill for me. Pit zips, light enough to pack, layers well, good stretch and is reasonably quiet. It's a great piece that really works for multiple purposes. They often have a 25% off sale and they are extremely well priced. If I were to go back to AK I would consider something heavier duty, I might have even got the Kuiu Yukon pants vs these generally as they are pretty bombproof.

natey57

FNG
Anyone have any experience with First Lite’s Omen? Seems a bit pricey…is it worth it?