Rain gear needed?

Labor day weekend of 2020, the highs went from approaching 90 to snow and winds high enough to snap trees.

Several times I have woken up from what was supposed to be rain to find wet snow and soaking vegetation.

Don't trust the forecast.

You should have rain gear and a puffy.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
Rain gear and a puffy are pretty much always in my pack from September on, especially in the high country. We get snow in September up high, so these items are a necessity.

ckeehn

FNG
I vote for the Chugach set. I have had mine for a few years and I beat on it enough where I'm concerned but I cant find anything where I was expecting a new hole. There always seems to be a sale on it too, just keep your eyes open.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
I carry a rain jacket all season for rain and wind. When weather looks like rain is coming, I'll bring the pants too.

Rain gear is essential in my mind and has more uses than just protecting you from getting wet.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

rcook10

WKR
Always pack for weather. There is nothing scarier or more dangerous than getting caught in big squall in the high country without the kit you need.

KyleM4130

Lil-Rokslider
I always have a rain jacket in my pack. Whether it’s to just keep high winds off of me or from rain, it’s always there. It’s just a lighter weight Eddie Bauer but does a great job of keeping you dry. I too skip pants and just take gaiters and have a tarp that I can pitch quickly to get out of it.

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

mcseal2

WKR
Like many others I always have rain gear at the truck if not in the pack. For light stuff I like a Kuiu Chugach jacket paired with Kutana pants. I like the extra toughness of the Kutana on the pants, the extra stretch and breathability of the Chugach on the jacket.

I always take something for rain. If I expect to need to move and hunt in the rain I'll take a jacket and pants. If I just need to be able to hunker down and wait out a shower I might take a poncho. When I'm day hunting I often take a rain suit plus a light tarp. I've had good results so far with the Onewind poncho/tarp in a few lighter storms but haven't used mine a ton yet. It's under $35 and multi-purpose which I like. I have a Sea to Summit version I've used for a lot longer, but it's more expensive. If I ever need to use the Onewind poncho as a shelter it measures 3'10" deep, 2'10" tall, and 4'6" long set up in the cave configuration. Not big enough for a comfortable overnight, but enough to curl up in for a while.

I'm waiting on a Wilderness Innovations PSSXL poncho I ordered. It's supposedly about 9oz and 5'x9', almost as big as my Kifaru Sheep Tarp. The Sheep Tarp works pretty well in the cave configuration to stretch out in. I hope this poncho will be just right to go on a lot of trips as a multi-purpose glassing tarp, poncho, etc.