Rain Gear layer

Do you wear your rain gear directly over your baselayer for the day or as an as needed layer over your top layer? Trying to decide whether to size up my rain gear or get it to fit. Leaning towards one size up.

Seems like something you put on as needed unless you are going somewhere predominantly wet.

2muchhp

WKR
As needed for me. My rainwear just doesn't breath as well as other layers.
Not sure why you would predominantly wear rain gear if its not needed.

twall13

WKR
I only put it on as needed, but in certain areas I can see it making sense to wear it over a base layer (SE Alaska for example). That said, careful on sizing up. Most of the better hunting brands plan them as part of a system and if you size up you might be swimming in them. For example, I had a set of First Lite rain pants in size Large that I measured the waist at 38" and it has stretch built in so it would go up to about 43". I'm a 32" waist, so even with a couple of layers on I could never keep them tight enough.

Chuckybmd

WKR
I personally would size up if I could do it over again. I have the kuiu Northridge rain gear . It fits OK over a middle layer and pants. It’s just a little tight. I think it would actually be kind of nice to have a looser fit. Though I fully admit I have put on a little weight as I near 40.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I want my rain gear to fit over my base layer & mid-layer and even occasionally over my puffy. I probably wear it more over just my base layer, but there are plenty of times when it goes over base layer & mid-layer.

If you're glassing (or taking a break) you'll want it over your puffy layer as well.

If I was going to err on sizing, I'd err just a wee large. I can't speak for other brands, but Sitka's sizing takes the in account, I just ordered my regular size.

Geewhiz

WKR
Typically for me, I dont often use a rain jacket for rain but more often for snow and/or wind, and for those reasons I definately size up to accomodate for a puffy/other mid layers.

2muchhp

WKR
I have the kuiu chugach and order my usual size and wish I would have sized up.

I usually recommend sizing up for rain gear. Usually when it rains the temps drop and you are going to want a mid layer underneath. Your rain gear is also you last line of defense and you want it to be able to fit over whatever other jackets you have.

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

I only wear rain gear when its raining or right after a rain when everything is soaking wet and its cooler or cold. In my neck of the woods after rain front the wind picks up and colder air moves in. I like to be dry and my rain shell also works to cut the wind. I will wear it over my base layer along or over my insulating layer depending on the situation. My rain gear was designed and sized to be worn over other layers and is basically a shell.
I do have a late season insulated fleece jacket and bibs that are gortex and windstopper and I usually just wear those over my base layer. I havent worn it in years.

This is my personal observation and it may or may not reflect everyone's reality.

If you are from the Lower 49, you put rain gear over your entire clothing ensemble.

If you are from AK, you put rain gear over your base layers (if needed for warmth) or just over your boxers (or commando) and lightweight shirt.