Rain gear Help!! First Lite Omen vs Kryptek Takur?

Dries

WKR
I am looking into these two. I was all set to get the Takur but the Omen is getting rave reviews! I got a chance to touch it at a full draw film tour and needless to say was very impressed with it.
Anybody used both?
Thanks

Don’t have the Takur jacket but I do have the Bora Jacket. They are essentially the same jacket with the Takur having seam taping. Both use the Scholler fabric and I have to say, it’s probably the best out there when comparing the hunting companies. My Bora is absolutely bombproof and breathes very well for being a Soft shell. I wouldn’t hesitate to get the Kryptek. I’ve had several iterations of FL SEAK jackets and all of them leaked where as my “non rain jacket” Bora never has.

As an aside, I have a Sitka Cloudburst and that thing is $$$. Light and super durable. For me, there is no reason to get anything else. Just about as waterproof as anything out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jd1006

WKR
The Takur and Bora are not the same fabric. I have both. The Takur is a lighter weight fabric and has a stream-lined fit. The Schoeller fabrics are the real deal. I don’t think you can compare the Omen to the Takur, as the Takur is a class above. Where the omen has feature and pockets, the Takur is more minimalist. I’m not going to trash First Lite; but I think they know that features will sell gear (like Sitka has been doing) and they threw a ton of features into this Rain Gear. I‘d rather just have the best bet at staying dry. There’s a ton of great rain jackets out there that are proven…I’d consider the Takur as one of them. I’d let the reviews and experience roll in on the Omen before I spent that type of money.

The Takur and Bora are not the same fabric. I have both. The Takur is a lighter weight fabric and has a stream-lined fit. The Schoeller fabrics are the real deal. I don’t think you can compare the Omen to the Takur, as the Takur is a class above. Where the omen has feature and pockets, the Takur is more minimalist. I’m not going to trash First Lite; but I think they know that features will sell gear (like Sitka has been doing) and they threw a ton of features into this Rain Gear. I‘d rather just have the best bet at staying dry. There’s a ton of great rain jackets out there that are proven…I’d consider the Takur as one of them. I’d let the reviews and experience roll in on the Omen before I spent that type of money.

Thanks for correcting that. I had read from people who owned both that the fabrics were basically the same with the Bora having a different liner and lacking seam tape. Love my Bora.

Wrench

WKR
I too have the bora and takur and the bora is heavier with the lining, but both are incredible at breathing and keeping water out.

Pro tip, mix up some silicone seam sealer and seal the bora for a pair of pants you can sit in a mud puddle with and stay dry.

The Takur is my favorite jacket of any kind. It’s been great for me, but MT isn’t exactly a rain forest for me to say it’s the best. I remember @roosiebull saying he hated his because it leaked, but that hasn’t been my experience.
I’ll second @optimusprime about the cloudburst, it is also awesome, but I like the fit and hood adjustability of the takur better.

What a time to be alive when we have so many great gear options that we can nitpick about how much nominally dryer we can stay with different textile and brand options.

What a time to be alive when we have so many great gear options that we can nitpick about how much nominally dryer we can stay with different textile and brand options.

I do agree in general, but it’s more than nominal in my world… most rain gear sucks on the coast, some is pretty good but doesn’t hold up to the point of feeling like it was a good purchase, and a couple are solid and survive a season and a half or 2.

You are correct though, the options we have today are pretty amazing, from packs to clothing, to weapons, to gadgetry, bullets, broadheads, etc… the part that can be fickle is spending the money to figure out what works for you… rain gear has cost me a lot of money, and will keep costing me… even best case, an 800$ set of rain gear holds up for 2 seasons…

I can’t help myself and any promising rain gear I have to try, even though I know of a couple that will hold up, and also know most won’t, and rain gear reviews are almost useless to me because most aren’t testing it in the environment I will be using it, which is punishing on rain gear

I have high hopes for the omen, I’m not a big kuiu fan, but they have the best hunting rain gear (for the price) I want first lite to take that place, and I think the omen has potential to do so, their prior rain gear wasn’t bad, just wasn’t quite as durable as kuiu Yukon or kutana… I really wanted the takur to live up to the hype it has, and I’m sure it does in some environments, but it died a fast death on the coast.

We certainly are spoiled these days though, and most of these high end products are marginally better or worse than the competition, not way better or worse