quilt sizing

Im still trying to wrap my mind around quilts. should a quilt be wide enough for you to be wrapped completely around like a blanket or just big enough to cover your top and sides while laying on an insulated pad?

should it be long enough to cover your face/head?

My instincts are telling me to order an xtra long and xtra wide to accommodate my girth and height but all that xtra seems like it defeats the purpose of ditching the sleeping bag?

If you go to EE or Hammock gear websites they have you tube video's of all the quilts . Gives good info on them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
you want them to come around, but not fully- as you guessed, this is defeating the advantage of a quilt- weight savings

length- same thing; with a quilt in cooler to cold temps you will need to wear a warm hat/balaclava or hood

having said that, better to err a little on the wide side (and length)

aggieland

WKR
I ordered the Xlong/Xwide.. I want to know I have plenty of room to cover everything, then again I'm usually using Mules to tote the load but an ounce or two wont hurt. ;)

Old_Navy

Lil-Rokslider
you did not specify exactly how long & wide you are, but if helps, I'm 6' 5" & 280. I went with XL/XW Revelation and I love it. Use the straps
that come with it to anchor it to your pad, & your good to go.

verysimple

Lil-Rokslider
Im still trying to wrap my mind around quilts. should a quilt be wide enough for you to be wrapped completely around like a blanket or just big enough to cover your top and sides while laying on an insulated pad?

should it be long enough to cover your face/head?

My instincts are telling me to order an xtra long and xtra wide to accommodate my girth and height but all that xtra seems like it defeats the purpose of ditching the sleeping bag?

Wrap around your body to the neck... no extra space to heat and with quilt you want to have hat and perhaps buff.. since no hood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Muttly

WKR
If you get a draft every time you roll over, your probably not gonna be quite as happy about shaving a few ounces off the weight.
If you toss and turn a little, a little extra length and width won't hurt.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I'm 5'9", 185lbs low body fat. I want a long/extra wide. Drafts suck. Everyone I hunt with uses quilts now and no one is going "small". Two of them have bought two quilts because they wanted larger.

A 0* EE Revelation long/extra wide weighs less than 2lbs. Hard to see how that's "heavy".

92xj

WKR
What is better, a long wide quilt and use a bivy to avoid drafts. Or is it better to get a long extra wide and a ground cloth instead of bivy. Note, in a megatarp.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
if there is any chance of rains splash, go with a bivy- does triple duty- keep stray moisture off of your quilt, acts a groundsheet and keeps you warmer

if there is no chance of splash, you can get a ground cloth a lot cheaper and would be a lot lighter

bbrown

WKR
I'm 5'10" 185-190 and went for the long/wide - paired it with a TiGoat bivy which seems to help minimize any drafts. My wife is 6" shorter and uses the same long/wide. When in doubt go bigger especially since the extra weight and packed size is minimal.

92xj

WKR
I'm 5'10" 185-190 and went for the long/wide - paired it with a TiGoat bivy which seems to help minimize any drafts. My wife is 6" shorter and uses the same long/wide. When in doubt go bigger especially since the extra weight and packed size is minimal.
With the bivy, are there anytimes you've wanted the extra wide? Or has the wide provided you with 100percent satisfaction?
Do you toss and turn in the bivy and everything stays where it should and you stay nice and warm?

bhylton

WKR
im 6ft, 190 and a 10* EE enigma regular width, long. the regular width can be brought together to touch between my shoulder blades using the pad straps no problem. i went with the long thinking the extra length would allow me to pull it over my head and that when its cold. but it turns out i cant sleep with anything over my face so i just wear my first light chama hoodie and a beanie my wife knit when i sleep. the long comes well over me head. the extra length was a waste for me and i can swim in the regular width compared to a regular mummy bag. i guess im kinda opposite to other posts here. but i think i ordered too much of a quilt rather than too little.

bbrown

WKR
With the bivy, are there anytimes you've wanted the extra wide? Or has the wide provided you with 100percent satisfaction?
Do you toss and turn in the bivy and everything stays where it should and you stay nice and warm?

I don't think the extra wide would gain much for me as wide is big enough to drape over and even tuck underneath. Honestly I don't use the straps that came with the quilt much and the wide is enough that I don't need them.

I toss and turn a lot and the bivy helps keep the quilt wrapped around me plus keeps my sleeping pad under me. About half the time I'm using the quilt I sleep on a cot and don't use the bivy so it's definitely not required but I really like it when I'm sleeping on the ground.

For reference I'm using either the 20* or 40* EE Prodigy quilt, large X-therm pad and TiGoat Raven bivy - very happy with this system. Shelters are either the Supertarp, Cimmaron or my Kifaru 8 man.

Madnik

Lil-Rokslider
At 6'00", 185 lbs I opted for an EE Long/Wide Revelation and couldn't be happier. Yes, I could have gone smaller, but I toss and turn and like the idea of a little more room for layering if required.

All my quilts are LW and when properly strapped to a quality pad, allow me to move without creating the dreaded drafts. My pad is LW too. I'm 6' and vary between 210 & 240lbs.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I think the sizing depends a lot on what temperatures you're using them in. The guys who are going smaller tend to be hunting in warmer temps it seems like. I/We're using them in sub zero temps in floorless shelters and/or bivy and no one wants smaller.