Question on packing out just meat

svivian

WKR
All the trash bag guys trying to keep blood off the pack or am i missing something that i should be doing?

bsnedeker

WKR
All the trash bag guys trying to keep blood off the pack or am i missing something that i should be doing?
It's more about keeping blood off the other crap in my pack....especially on the first load. I don't mind blood on my pack, but blood on my puffies is a PITA.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

OP
U

Ut300

FNG
I am a clean freak like this. I use the good quality trash bags, although I hear it's not good to do it for a long time. I guess the plastic can trap the heat? And then open bags up once you get them on ice.

bsnedeker

WKR
I am a clean freak like this. I use the good quality trash bags, although I hear it's not good to do it for a long time. I guess the plastic can trap the heat? And then open bags up once you get them on ice.
Correct, you do not want to leave them in the bags long term...game bags need to breathe. They come out of the trash bag as soon as I get to my truck and go into the cooler. I'm not usually hunting more than 2-3 miles from my truck up here in Montana so I've never worried about the short time it's in the bag.

Laramie

WKR
I fill mine from the bottom all the way up- I carry much heavier loads to save a trip or two. Large bull elk in 3 packs has worked pretty well in the past for me. All three loads come our fairly equal -
Pack 1 and 2 = hind quarter, and trim from that side.
Pack 3 = deboned shoulder meat and backstraps + head.

The last load can get pretty heavy if carrying the cape but it is the last load and almost Miller time.

svivian

WKR
It's more about keeping blood off the other crap in my pack....especially on the first load. I don't mind blood on my pack, but blood on my puffies is a PITA.

Ok thats more what i figured. My meat goes between the frame and bag so i have no issues there. I was always under the impression to have good quality game bags that allowed air flow but wouldnt allow flies to lay eggs through it.

ColeyG

WKR
Get yourself one of those fancy new self-carrying meat packs. I caught mine taking a break with a load this fall.

thumbnail_IMG_0878.jpg

You could also do it the old fashioned way and get a good pack made for carrying meat and hump it yourself.

thumbnail_IMG_8731.jpg

I've used a few, Sitka, Stone Glacier, and Exo, and have settled on the Exo for most of my trips as of late.

OP
U

Ut300

FNG
Get yourself one of those fancy new self-carrying meat packs. I caught mine taking a break with a load this fall.

View attachment 467860

You could also do it the old fashioned way and get a good pack made for carrying meat and hump it yourself.

View attachment 467862

I've used a few, Sitka, Stone Glacier, and Exo, and have settled on the Exo for most of my trips as of late.
That looks nice! just the right height on the back too.