Question on packing out just meat

Ut300

FNG
So I want to know how most you guys carry just meat? I am talking if you totally debone everything. Do you drop it into the bottom of your pack or is it better to keep the heavy weight about mid-section in your pack. Also if you are going in for the second, third or even fourth load, you obviously try and start with an empty pack. Are you really better off to carry like an old pillow with you and place the meat on top to keep it higher up? As I get older I try and think of things like this so I'm more efficient.

cmahoney

WKR
Debone, synthetic game bags on the meat sling between my pack and frame. Just the sling and frame on a second trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
We used to just tie game bags (pillow cases really) onto our metal frame packs with paracord and haul it out. Don’t overthink it.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I like keeping most of the weight mid to higher up in my pack. It just rides better for me that way.

I never use game bags, unless I’m hanging meat overnight. I prefer heavy duty 30 gallon garbage bags. Keeps my pack clean and doesn’t bother the meat, either.

869F0BEA-6304-481E-BACC-96516D7437D8.jpegF2A4DC3D-B850-4475-B8E3-6B471FB4118B.jpeg
Meat is deboned and put in carabou gear game bag, that is put in a trash bag in pack. Before meat is put in pack we always tighten the bottom straps all the way tight to keep the load a little higher up.

Here is a picture of my buddy and me packing out a load of meat, and the heads from our bulls this year. You can see tightening the bottom compression straps keeps the meat higher in the pack.

Slugz

WKR
Using a made for " bone out" game bag makes a large difference also. They are more slender and keep the bag from mushrooming out and generally ride higher.

Bone in or deboned depends on the size of the animal and distance to the truck. Meat goes into the meat shelf between my bag and frame, meat shelf is adjusted to keep quarter in the middle of my back. Keeps the inside of my bag from getting full of blood. For any additional trips I usually just leave the bag on, empty as possbile, and compress it all the way down. I like to keep rain gear, 1st aid kit, and few other essentials in my pack even if I just packing meat.

sargent

WKR
2nd load.jpg
I use a Stone Glacier dry bag in between the bag and frame. This is the second load of elk meat (deboned front and back quarter) from my bull this year. The bag is almost empty, just a spare layer, rain gear, and emergency stuff. I drop game bags of meat into the dry bag, cinch down the bottom of the pack as others have mentioned and try to spread the meat in an even layer across the frame. This seems to ride better for me than a big ball of meat, whether the ball is located high or low. I think the Stone Glacier dry bag would work on pretty much any pack with a meat shelf.

bsnedeker

WKR
I'm a "meat in the pack" guy. Most of the time the meat goes into a contractor bag, the bag goes into my backpack, I cinch the meat so it's nice and vertical on the frame, and get moving.

Meat in a contractor bag and then inside a caribou bag (pillow case really) and in between the bag and frame with a load sling supporting it.

Scoot

WKR
I use a Kifaru Nomad- it's got bat wings and allows me to strap the meat in so I can locate the weight wherever I want it. I prefer the most weight right at about shoulder blade height- some above and some below too. I can accomplish that with my pack really well and it makes a huge difference vs. having a huge lump of weight at the bottom of my pack near my tailbone. Lots of different packs allow you to adjust the weight and synch it down to hold it in place.

OP
U

Ut300

FNG
If you are trying to keep the load off your butt, most packs have a compression strap you can tighten fully to block off the lower 1/4 of the pack.
Funny, cuz I was wondering if this would work. Cinch up the lower compression straps so it doesn't fall to the bottom. I will have to try that. Unfortunately I don't have the sling on my kifaru as cmahoney suggested. I might have it on the kuiu pack. I will have to take a look.

Powerman

FNG
I went to a Kifaru meat bag which gives the deboned meat a more cylindrical shape to it. Makes the deboned meat more like a sand bag shape.

sndmn11

WKR
Funny, cuz I was wondering if this would work. Cinch up the lower compression straps so it doesn't fall to the bottom. I will have to try that. Unfortunately I don't have the sling on my kifaru as cmahoney suggested. I might have it on the kuiu pack. I will have to take a look.

It should work. Tighten the right and left straps fully, then take up any slack with the middle strap.

OP
U

Ut300

FNG
View attachment 467648View attachment 467649
Meat is deboned and put in carabou gear game bag, that is put in a trash bag in pack. Before meat is put in pack we always tighten the bottom straps all the way tight to keep the load a little higher up.

Here is a picture of my buddy and me packing out a load of meat, and the heads from our bulls this year. You can see tightening the bottom compression straps keeps the meat higher in the pack.
Ok, that's #2 person that suggested this. I was wondering if this would work. Obviously if bottom straps are cinched up tight a good size meat bag will not drop to the bottom. Will have to give this a try!

OP
U

Ut300

FNG
I went to a Kifaru meat bag which gives the deboned meat a more cylindrical shape to it. Makes the deboned meat more like a sand bag shape.
That is genius! Makes total sense. I'm gonna have to get me one of those.