Question on Meindl Sizing

gostovp

WKR
For those that have the Comfort Fit hunter, how did sizing run for you? On their website they say go down 1/2 size from your Brannock measurement. I called and talked to their customer service and they said same. My left foot is bigger than my right, and the end of my left big toe is between the 10.5 and 11, and my arch measured just a hair over 11, my width is just between D and E (the “pro” at local shoe store said I’m an 11 or 11.5). Schnees Beartooth in 11.5D were good in width but too big in length, and good in length in 11D but too narrow. Crispi Summit GTX in 11.5D good for me in width, maybe a smidge long but not much. Danner Recurve in 11.5D is great on width, but maybe a smidge long. Danner pronghorn in 10.5D I gave to my son because my toes hit on the downhill.
I ordered the 10.5D in comfort fit hunter last night based on what Meindl told me when I gave them my brannocks, but I think I forget to tell them my arch measurement was just a big larger than 11… wondering if I should call Monday morning and change it to 11D….

I ordered my normal size and had to send back for a half size smaller, which fit perfect. Also their wide size was actually comfortably for me. I've had to send back other brands because wide wasn't wide enough.

Good news is that their return process is easy.

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
Funny thing is I don’t even know what my ‘normal’ size is lol… in running shoes I’m 11.5 all day, my work/dress shoes, Dude shoes, Lacrosse AlphaBurly, I’m an 11, but I tried on some Wolverine and Carhartt steel toe work boots today in 11 and they were a little big honestly (high volume toe boxes).

LoggerDan

WKR
I wear the miendle ten inch logger boot, which is just a really stiff mountain boot. I’ve owned maybe something like six pair. Half size up is the way I go. Easy on the toes for downhills.

JGTWI

WKR
Classified Approved
I mostly wear a size 9 and have a modestly wide foot, and have the comfort fit hikers in 8.5D and they fit me well (if not a touch big). For comparison’s sake, I wear a 9D in my Crispi’s and a 9EE in my Schnee’s timberlines.

I think their advice was probably spot on to go with the 10.5.

The Meindl’s have a generous width to them even in the standard size. In my case, the heel portion of the boot is too wide and I was getting some slippage. If that’s the case with you, they will send you a free spacer to put under the insole that should clear it up.

Agross

WKR
I’m a 10.5 wide sometimes but typically an 11 wide. My meindl are 10.5 wide and fit perfect .

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
I also swung into Cabelas today and tried on just about everything I could find that was in a box on the shelf. Just about all the boots and hikers that didn’t have a narrow toebox fit best for me in an 11. The Danner Vital was super narrow in 11D, and as I would expect the 11.5 D in that Danner felt better, but they didn’t have an 11EE to compare .

Thanks everyone, based on the feedback I’ll stick with the 10.5 and see how they fit.

My biggest concern is downhilling and making sure my toes don’t smash. Any recommendations for testing this at home in the house ?

They have a good lacing system so you should not have downhill problems. I have been wearing the Comfort Fit Hikers for going on twenty years. Half size down fits perfect. Let us know how they fit.

IronM

Lil-Rokslider
I purchased the Comfort Fit Hunter 400 a little over 1.5 years ago. They recommended the 1/2 size down. My brannack measurement is size 11. I tried both the 10.5 and 11 and decided to go with the 11 because of wearing a heavier hunting merino sock. I have a normal D width and the fit is perfect. Worn them for 2 seasons hunting Colorado elk and they fit awesome. Also have the Comfort Fit Light Hiker, in which they recommend a whole size down. So went with size 10 in that shoe and again the fit is just fine. I wear a medium weight merino sock in this case.

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
Honestly I’m super skeptical that the 10.5 is gonna fit. Got home tonight after all day on my feet and tried on my Crispi Summit 11.5D and they fit well. Tried on my Danner Recurve 11.5D and they fit good, as previously stated this one i probably could have gotten an 11. I tried on my cold weather treestand boots, some Irish Setter 800g in 11EE and they are just sloppy and hard to tell how they fit as I’m usually doubled up on socks in those boots.
Here is a pic of my left foot in the Brannock…( the arch measurement looks short of 11, but it’s the angle of the camera, it’s actually just a little longer than 11)

Attachments

• F6F67827-693E-47EE-9E3C-F097DBCA5194.jpeg
    F6F67827-693E-47EE-9E3C-F097DBCA5194.jpeg
    559.9 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
Meindls showed up today. Unfortunately when I slipped them on I knew instantly I will be sending them back. Overall length seemed ok, but the toe box in the 10.5D just smashed my left pinky toe, and to me the toe box didn’t feel overly wide in that size. Plus I couldn’t get the heels to lock for me in no matter how I laced them. I think length was ok, i maybe could have gone with an 11 for some extra width, or tried a 10.5 EE, but the heel lift for me just on flat carpet would probably only get worse in a wide or 11… I really was looking forward to these boots too, they build quality was excellent. If they fit your feet I’m sure they would work great.

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
If you pull out the insoles how do they compare to the boots you already own? Same length?
I didn’t size them like that. I just slid my foot forward until my toe hit the end and then did the finger-behind-the-heel test. I was able to fit my index finger between my heel and the boot. They are already boxed up and have the return slip on them and I’m sending them back tomorrow morning.

I was just curious and it’s not very specific but for comparison here is my Meindl 10 in front of my wide 10.5 Lowa.

You can see a little cork sticking out in the toe area so the Meindl are a hair wider even in their standard width. Good luck in your search.

Attachments

• 6EBF398C-DF33-4984-8357-D138831B8AF1.jpeg
    6EBF398C-DF33-4984-8357-D138831B8AF1.jpeg
    356.3 KB · Views: 21

ropeup79

Lil-Rokslider
I'm about a 12.5 for length and the Meindl 12 was great length wise. Mine are the Himalayas which are a little narrower than the Comfortfits. They fit my narrow feet well but I did call MeindlUSA and they sent some spacer insoles for free. Made a big difference in the fit.