Question on 1st & 2nd choice Go Hunt draw odds

I have been pouring over Go Hunt lately trying to decide on a Wyoming antelope unit for my group of 3. My question is on the draw odds between first and second choice. filters are the same between the two.
Non resident
4 Preference Points
any size
25%-100% Draw odds
Rifle

On First choice its shows about 20 or so units within those parameters
On second choice it shows 4 units with the same parameters

I guess I'm not understanding the drastic drop from first to second choice? i understand that if you draw second choice your preference points don't get used. The way i was looking at doing it was pick a first choice unit that doesn't have quite 100% odds with 4 points. just trying to get into best unit possible, then pick a second choice unit. But if i don't pick one of the four units listed as second choice, will we have no chance to draw if it goes to our second choice?
Am i looking at/Going about this the wrong way? Its our first time heading to Wyoming for an antelope hunt so learning ALOT as we go! lol

AndrewMT34

Lil-Rokslider
Does your everyone in your group have 4 points? Wyoming averages the groups preference points and rounds to the 5th decimal place.

My understanding of the non-resident Wyoming Draw is this:

1st Choice - 75% of available tags are given to preference point draw, remaining 25% are random

Any remaining tags are carried over to the second choice draw which is completely random.

If there are more 1st choice applicants than quota there will be no tags available for the second choice draw.

OP
M
Does your everyone in your group have 4 points? Wyoming averages the groups preference points and rounds to the 5th decimal place.

My understanding of the non-resident Wyoming Draw is this:

1st Choice - 75% of available tags are given to preference point draw, remaining 25% are random

Any remaining tags are carried over to the second choice draw which is completely random.

If there are more 1st choice applicants than quota there will be no tags available for the second choice draw.
Ok, That makes sense. 2 guys have 5 points i have 3 points. should be average of 4, correct?

wytx

WKR
when does the quota usually come out? Is that info on go hunt or WGF website?
Late April or early May. They will put out the set quotas then and you will not be guessing on how many licenses are available if you wait.

Fitzwho

WKR
The problem is that there are pretty much enough people applying in Wyoming now that almost all of the tags go in the first choice pass of applications. They go through and look at everbody’s first choice before looking at any second choice applications.

Rich M

WKR
There is no second choice for NR. Pull up wy website and look at the first choice numbers from 2021 and be amazed.

You either have enough points for your first choice, get really lucky w random draw, or wait another year.