Question for the Ballistic Experts

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
I was wondering if any of you guys could give some advice on how my rifle's load is going to react to higher elevations. The rifle is a 300WSM shooting 180 grain Accubonds (Standard) at 2927fps muzzle velocity. I chose this node because it was much more consistent and forgiving than the higher node. I used to use a free ballistic calculator that I verified my drops out to approximately 450 yards at 1000 - 2000 feet above sea level. This software let me make adjustments for elevation but is no longer accessible. I would like to have an idea on what this load should do at 8000 - 10000 feet above sea level if there someone can run my data. The confirmed drops for my elevation are as follows:
100 yards = +1.2 inches
200 yards = 0
250 yards = -2.44 inches
300 yards = -6.17 inches
350 yards = -11.28 inches
400 yards = -17.84 inches
450 yards = -25.91 inches
500 yards = -35.59 inches
These are values that were produced by the calculator and are not exact POI, but were values that I was able to get as close to as possible by dialing up my turrets and making good hits on an 8" gong out to 450. I understand the fact that the air is thinner and the bullet will drop less in that environment as opposed to what I normally shoot. I'm just curious how much I should expect. This gun is being used for an elk hunt and 450 will be as far as I will take it on a rock solid rest at a completely still animal. Thanks everyone.

BBob

WKR
@ 500 yds it may change -3-4” so leave it, don’t change a thing. If you must, hold a couple inches high or dial up a couple of extra clicks @ 450 and go shoot an elk.

Tmac

WKR

The factory 300WSM load in there is close, or you can select handload and input the velocity, bullet info. It’s a good calculator for quick use, but far from the most sophisticated. I‘ve use it for estimates to 600 and found it accurate.

OP
S

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone. I am embarrassed I did not know about JBM. That is a great tool and I will be using it from now on. I have a ballistic app on my phone that I am not crazy about. I really am not concerned with all the fine details that it spits out so I always finding myself sifting through a lot of information to get the little bit I am after. JBM is perfect for my needs.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Forget thinking inches!!!

Think and shoot mils.

Download the Shooter app.

Insure all data is entered correctly including environmentas and density altitude from your weather meter. Determine your wind bracket. Zero your rifle with a 10 round group at 100yds. ’True’ your data with the velocity calibration feature in the app. Slip your turrets.

When you get to your hunting location confirm zero.

Enter your new environmentals including density altitude. Click calculate and your dope is done. You’ll need to do this everyday. Depending on environmentals, you may need to enter density altitude a couple of times per day.

BBob

WKR
Enter your new environmentals including density altitude. Click calculate and your dope is done. You’ll need to do this everyday. Depending on environmentals, you may need to enter density altitude a couple of times per day.
For a 450 yard max distance? Really?

OP
S

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
Inches are easier to measure on paper. I know how they relate to MOA and will convert to my dial ups. I'm not shooting ELR and knew it wouldn't much matter, but do not like to take shots at live animals on a whim.

ROJO23

FNG
i have a 300wsm and I shoot 180 accubonds. I use 2970 fps for my calculator. I use MOA, and I am using a density altitude of 8000' zeroed at 100 yards
200 1.3moa
300 3.2moa
350 4.4moa
400 5.5moa
450 6.8moa
500 8.1 moa
550 9.4moa
600 10.8moa

like everyone said forgot about inches, just dial and shoot. I killed an elk at 560 a couple years ago, I dialed 9.4 and it was right on.