question about goats

frank church guy

Lil-Rokslider
I am so fortunate to hunt black tails off kodiak this year. I have already paid my spot on a boat. I will be a alaskan resdident so tags are what they are. Should I go after a goat is my question. Dont care about the work it would require. Hunting is hunting. OR should I be happy with chasing blacktails? What would you do if you were a resident hunting deer and had a goat tag. Seems like a stupid question

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Hunt goat. But, your hunt might not be conducive to that.

MattB

WKR
Given the state of the deer herd on Kodiak, it may be good to have a goat tag in your pocket. Depends on where you are hunting, but I have seen very few goats that were readily accessible in the areas I have hunted (south end).

SwiftShot

WKR
Never been on Kodiak. Watch stuck in the Rut on youtube. You can see them looking at goats from the beach on Kodiak. Dont know where they where on the island but it is possible. Half did goats while the others smoked some deer.

How long is your hunt, and time of year? Given enough time, and being based out of a boat, I would focus on a goat if that becomes more important to you, and then transfer to a new area more focused around deer. Plenty of places you can hunt both in tandem, but probably would sacrifice a little bit of quality of hunting on one or the other. Time of year will also be a factor.

It’s not a bad idea to have a goat tag in your pocket (they are just a registration after all) however depending on where you are hunting on the island you may be wasting your time chasing goats in marginal country as you walk past some of the best blacktail hunting Kodiak has to offer. Most of the area on the south end is prime time big buck area if you can get away from the other boats and hunters and it’s not always great goat hunting. Don’t get me wrong it is do-able and it would be a mistake not to have a tag but I’d hate to hear about you walking past a beautiful buck you didn’t see for a sub par chance at a goat.

• Banned
OP
frank church guy

frank church guy

Lil-Rokslider
I appoligize for this thread. I am just super excited about living alaska i havn't dove into the regulations.
i am going to do the black tail deer hunt on kodiak, paid for. but i am learning about everything else. cheers to all and I am sorry for the thread

What month are you hunting? As I recall from your confiscated cans in Canada thread you moved up there last December.