Question about expandables/bow poundage

csmith

FNG
Hello
Looking some advice regarding broadheads. This past winter I tore my labrum on my shoulder and have had to reduce my poundage on my bow from 72lbs to 55lbs. I have been shooting Grim reaper expandables but was wondering if shooting less poundage should make me rethink and go back to fixerd. My arrow is 31” and is 200 spine with max draw length so the arrow is weighing 510grains or so. Does that matter?

Thanks I’m advance

Stay on the smaller cut side and you should be fine. I notice 2” Spitfire 3-blade heads do not penetrate as well as the original 1.5” that is not only smaller but has a superior blade angle. 65#s, 29” draw, 475 gr micro diameter arrows in both cases. Obviously 2
Blade heads are a different case. But believe the Grim
Reaper heads are 3-blade like a Spitfire.

Zac

WKR
Probably the worst mechanical design you could use with that kind of poundage. You do have good momentum, but your going to suck up a ton of energy with over the top deploying heads. I'd go with a Sevr 1.5 if I was going to use any mechanical at all.

OP
csmith

csmith

FNG
This is all good info. I’ve used slick tricks and grim reaper micro 3 blades with success. I’m guessing I should but the bullet and move back to fixed blades. Especially if I make a marginal shot through a blade it will cover my ace. This is mainly for whitetails. Thanks fellas!

Reactions: Zac
I’d use your Micro GRs without hesitation. Bet you won’t be disappointed. And accuracy in the field under hunting conditions will be good…very forgiving.

I’ve shot elk, caribou, polar bear, black bears, sheep and deer with the spitfires. No penetration issues. Spined a black bear where the broadhead went through the shoulder blade first. Excellent results.

Obviously I have energy to burn or they wouldn’t have worked since they are an over the top design. You do too with the long draw length and a good stiff hunting arrow.

Two buddies in BC have shot moose, caribou, grizzlies, sheep and giant mulies with them…one buddy with less energy than you. Both are using about 420 gr total weight arrows.

dtrkyman

WKR
The original grim reaper 1 3/8th cut was designed for low ke set ups, many do not realize this as well as the fact they can be shot in the open position!

Look at their blade angle when open.

Smaller cut mechanicals will do well with that set up for deer and similar, I would prefer fixed heads for elk for lower weight set ups but many gals have killed elk with less weight and less draw length!

1.5 inch 2 blade mechanical heads penetrate really well!

Probably the worst mechanical design you could use with that kind of poundage. You do have good momentum, but your going to suck up a ton of energy with over the top deploying heads. I'd go with a Sevr 1.5 if I was going to use any mechanical at all.

Survey size of 2 deer, but I can tell you so far a 2" Sevr doesn't hold a candle to the penetration of a 1.75" Spitfire. Never had penetration issues with spitfire on who knows how many deer and I think 9 elk with them too. 2 does with Sevr's last year, one 2.0, one 2.1 and both just laying in the grass, hung on fletching on the way out. Small sample size, I suspect the 1.5 is a lot better, but if I'm shooting a mech I want a bigger hoke than a 2 blade 1.5.

Saw a pile of elk killed with spitfire over the years from less than ideal setups. As previously stated the blade angle on the larger cut ones suck, but still hasn't been an issue for me.

I think deer sized game, 1.5" cut, I wouldn't be bothered with SF or GR over the top heads if I had 55#, 26-27" DL and 400 gr arrows. Just from what I have seen with them.
That's assuming the setup is well tuned.

Personally I think the idea of over the top sucking a bunch of energy is a misconception, but I ain't too bothered with trying to prove anything one way or another.

Take a vehicle and put an empty 2 litter soda bottle in front of the tire, see if you can roll the vehicle over it. I bet you can't, yet if it was moving at any speed it wouldn't slow it down or have any effect whatsoever. Kinda like trying to measure the force it takes to deploy a broadhead from a static position. Just a scenario for thought.

Your Sevr results mimic mine with the 1.5” Ulmer Edge the forerunner to the Sevr. Very poor blood trails on deer, elk black bear and a grizzly. Dead but hard to follow. Gave them up after a couple year trial. Just the opposite with 1.5” three-blade Spitfires….easy to follow blood trails.

Zac

WKR
Survey size of 2 deer, but I can tell you so far a 2" Sevr doesn't hold a candle to the penetration of a 1.75" Spitfire. Never had penetration issues with spitfire on who knows how many deer and I think 9 elk with them too. 2 does with Sevr's last year, one 2.0, one 2.1 and both just laying in the grass, hung on fletching on the way out. Small sample size, I suspect the 1.5 is a lot better, but if I'm shooting a mech I want a bigger hoke than a 2 blade 1.5.

Saw a pile of elk killed with spitfire over the years from less than ideal setups. As previously stated the blade angle on the larger cut ones suck, but still hasn't been an issue for me.

I think deer sized game, 1.5" cut, I wouldn't be bothered with SF or GR over the top heads if I had 55#, 26-27" DL and 400 gr arrows. Just from what I have seen with them.
That's assuming the setup is well tuned.

Personally I think the idea of over the top sucking a bunch of energy is a misconception, but I ain't too bothered with trying to prove anything one way or another.

Take a vehicle and put an empty 2 litter soda bottle in front of the tire, see if you can roll the vehicle over it. I bet you can't, yet if it was moving at any speed it wouldn't slow it down or have any effect whatsoever. Kinda like trying to measure the force it takes to deploy a broadhead from a static position. Just a scenario for thought.
Yeah I don't have a bone to pick on the subject either. I would personally just go to a fixed blade if I was worried about KE, or penetration or whatever.