Mid-Layer Shootout Review ***Updated 2/18/23***

Enr

FNG
Ambient still has the tags on it; hopefully not too far out on testing :)
I have the arrowhead MDWi in multicam and I love it, but I want to know if the Ambient makes a substantial difference, I'll have one for work and other for every day or I give a shot to the Tilak nebba mig (I'm european)

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
and it begins :)

YxuAzqs.jpg

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
For me , alpha direct is the bomb … paired with a good moisture movement shell. Ive been using a NeoShell that I like a lot and the pairing is great

Last edited:

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
and it begins :)

YxuAzqs.jpg
I purchased the jacket instead of the hoody (pockets were a must). But I believe you got the military version that is the best of both worlds.

Anyways I got to try mine out in the snow yesterday. It seems like a super solid layer. I was only wearing a sweat-wicking t-shirt under my jacket and I was cozy. I went for a run in it and got sweaty but it dried super fast.

If I had the funds I would get a second in a heart beat to have one for working out in and one for hunting.

Mcnasty

FNG
@mtwarden when you produce your results would be awesome for us nerds if you produced a spreadsheet or grid for easy comparison of objective data like weights, materials and features. and maybe some more subjective data on your experiences like breathability, water resistance wind resistance etc. Tools like lighterpack have proven surprising and unexpected results on the differences in weight of the many mid layers I currently own. For what its worth, been through many mid layers and ove the past 20 years always came back to my tried and true (though a bit loud) Marmot wind shirt until this year. That spot is now taken by an arrowhead MLX full zip W hood. though its only been one season its been the best all round piece for stop and go to high activity in mild to cool/windy conditions I have ever owned by a long shot. This jacket/shirt is the current bench mark to compare all others IMHO. Also, thanks for doing this, can't wait to see your results. Cheers

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah I can put together a a chart pretty easily. I don't have any scientific testing equipment, but I have few ideas for testing that I think will bear fruit- if nothing else will be interesting :D

Was out yesterday with the First Lite Origin hoody; 12-16" of snow and 10 miles kicked my a$$!

YDK7JIX.jpg

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I can put together a a chart pretty easily. I don't have any scientific testing equipment, but I have few ideas for testing that I think will bear fruit- if nothing else will be interesting :D

Was out yesterday with the First Lite Origin hoody; 12-16" of snow and 10 miles kicked my a$$!

YDK7JIX.jpg
What boots do you use for snow?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
What boots do you use for snow?

Schnee's Hunter pacs- the tallest ones; mine are 20+ years old (have been resoled twice); the only pacs I found that I can actually cover a lot of ground with

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
Schnee's Hunter pacs- the tallest ones; mine are 20+ years old (have been resoled twice); the only pacs I found that I can actually cover a lot of ground with
Maybe I will give them a shot. I have been struggling to find a good snow boot. Although I think I will give my nevada's a shot this winter paired with gators and snow shoes. My only issue is if the Nevada's and snow would be no removable liner.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've used my Crispi's (Thors) with gaiters snowshoeing- as long as you're moving they're fine; the Nevada's with insulation would probably be better

I carry two 16 oz Nalgenes with me for multi-day trips in the winter (or late Fall)- boil up water in the morning, fill the bottles and stick them in my boots- doesn't dry them, but makes them pliable enough to get them on :D

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is the Patagonia R1 Air on your list? It’s my favorite high exertion mid layer I’ve found yet.

It's not, but looks like an interesting piece :)

Right now it's the Outdoor Research Vigor hoody, The Sitka Ambient hoody, the First Lite Origin hoody and appears a Kuiu Kenai hoody on it's way too. Also possibly a new piece from Stone Glacier????

Lawnboi

WKR
Ended up ordering an ambient hoody, looking forward to a comparison.

Hoping that it will replace a traverse hoody that has a little too much extra ventilation now. Was never a big fan of the heavy weight hoody that originally replaced it.

Shraggs

WKR
It's not, but looks like an interesting piece :)

Right now it's the Outdoor Research Vigor hoody, The Sitka Ambient hoody, the First Lite Origin hoody and appears a Kuiu Kenai hoody on it's way too. Also possibly a new piece from Stone Glacier????
Late to party, maybe an affordable piece the ll bean knit wool commando sweater.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Veron16