Mid-Layer Shootout Review ***Updated 2/18/23***

On a more serious note, thanks for the help explaining the layers to me. I now have enough information to know I don't "NEED" an active insulation piece yet.

P Carter

WKR
@mtwarden any experience with North Face Summit Ventrix?
I have the ventrix. I really like it—it’s comfortable, fit is great, warm but breathable. (I hate feeling clammy.) I haven’t found a place for it hunting though. It’s too warm/not breathable enough for serious hiking yet not warm enough to replace a true puffy jacket. It’s great as an insulating layer for summer camping or scouting, but you could find lighter pieces for that. It is also great for around town, hiking with my kids when it’s cold, snowshoeing with my kids—anytime I’m not moving fast.
A true mid layer for hunting applications would be Sitka ambient or the various grid fleeces.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
@mtwarden any experience with North Face Summit Ventrix?

I do not

I have the ventrix. I really like it—it’s comfortable, fit is great, warm but breathable. (I hate feeling clammy.) I haven’t found a place for it hunting though. It’s too warm/not breathable enough for serious hiking yet not warm enough to replace a true puffy jacket. It’s great as an insulating layer for summer camping or scouting, but you could find lighter pieces for that. It is also great for around town, hiking with my kids when it’s cold, snowshoeing with my kids—anytime I’m not moving fast.
A true mid layer for hunting applications would be Sitka ambient or the various grid fleeces.

Good info- thanks

Lawnboi

WKR
I’d appreciate some opinion on longevity added to the review. Curious if you see any degradation of insulation with the alpha/evolve like you can with synthetic.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’d appreciate some opinion on longevity added to the review. Curious if you see any degradation of insulation with the alpha/evolve like you can with synthetic.

I've got three different Alpha Direct pieces and seeing no degradation in the insulation. Where there could be issues is with the face fabric, by it's nature it's generally going to be on the light side to facilitate breathing and thus some care is warranted when wearing it. The ones I have aren't fragile, but you certainly have to use a little care going through thick stuff.

I can definitely do a followup down the line with the pieces I review here to address longevity though :)

JohnB

WKR
I own two OR Ascendants one of which is very lightly used and sitting in the back of the closet. The coat I use has been used heavily for 3 or 4 years and it is less lofty. I'll try to take a comparison photo but the differences might not show that well.

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
I got my Ambient Jacket in hand. Waiting for some free time away from the baby to go put this through some hiking!

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
@mtwarden how many midlayers are in this test?

Right now we have a Sitka Ambient hoody, an Outdoor Research Vigor hoody and a First Lite Origin hoody. The Vigor and Origin are fleece mid layers and the Ambient is a new synthetic insulated active piece.

Originally I was going to include the MDWi I previously reviewed (Polartec Alpha Direct insulation), but Sitka is discontinuing their Arrowhead line, so I think we'll pass on including it.

We'd like to get one more synthetic active piece, the guys are inquiring from Kuiu on their Kenai hoody to see if we can include it. That would balance things out with a couple of more "traditional" fleece pieces and a couple of the newer active insulation pieces.

I think the guys (and me included) would like to cap it at four (maybe five tops) pieces to make things simpler and give each piece a little more thorough review.

Maybe the guys will chime in here with their thoughts.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Right now we have a Sitka Ambient hoody, an Outdoor Research Vigor hoody and a First Lite Origin hoody. The Vigor and Origin are fleece mid layers and the Ambient is a new synthetic insulated active piece.

Originally I was going to include the MDWi I previously reviewed (Polartec Alpha Direct insulation), but Sitka is discontinuing their Arrowhead line, so I think we'll pass on including it.

We'd like to get one more synthetic active piece, the guys are inquiring from Kuiu on their Kenai hoody to see if we can include it. That would balance things out with a couple of more "traditional" fleece pieces and a couple of the newer active insulation pieces.

I think the guys (and me included) would like to cap it at four (maybe five tops) pieces to make things simpler and give each piece a little more thorough review.

Maybe the guys will chime in here with their thoughts.
How about the Skre kaibab 300?

Enr

FNG
@mtwarden
How would you compare the Ambient with the MDWi hoodies?
Breathability
Dry time
Moisture management
Thermoregulation
Durability