Mid-Layer Shootout Review ***Updated 2/18/23***

Osprey87

FNG
I've used the sitka ambient hoody from the beginning of the September straight through till now as a replacement for my heavyweight core that I somehow lost. Very versatile piece that's applicable to all weather conditions, moves heat well while moving and keeps you warm while static. Fit is perfect with a few exceptions, I'm not a fan of the tight cuffs in the sleeves as I do like to roll them above my elbows when overheating and it's more difficult to do this with the cuffs. Durability is better then the heavyweight as that piece pillared after just a few washes, however the ambient has a few threads pulled from busting brush which never happened with the heavyweight. Also found the ambient to hold smell quicker then the heavyweight after a day or 2 of heavy hiking, where as the heavyweight core would start to smell after the 4th day

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
little teaser- brought all three jackets (still nothing from Kuiu!) on a recent three day elk hunt in some pretty cold temps

Vigor

njwy9K1.jpg

Origin

iV6JOKi.jpg

Ambient

4Rfz60k.jpg

Swamppirate

Lil-Rokslider
I have been running the Sitka Traverse hoody in the mountains of VA. It is a full zip which allows a quick heat dump if needed. I wish it had pit zips but is does have “mapping” around the pits which seems to work well. I used it with a Black Ovis merino short sleeve, FL Kiln hoody and was comfortable. It is their standard fit that is not tight but not loose either.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
A little teaser of my moisture moving test with mid-layer #1.

It goes likes so weigh dry base layer (Sitka Core Lwt hoody), fully soak base layer, wring a little and weigh wet base layer (15 oz of water, it's soaked!!!!), put in large ziplock, drive to trailhead, take off nice dry (warm) shirt and put soaking wet base layer on (32 degrees) and hike a 4 mile loop- not slow because having a soaking wet base layer in 32 degree weather isn't pleasant :ROFLMAO:, reweigh base layer to see how much moisture it's lost, reweigh mid-layer to see how moisture it's gained, take those figures and see how much total moisture was moved fully out.

I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the first result- base layer lost almost 11 (10.7) ounces of water, the mid-layer only gained a little over an ounce (1.2), so almost 10 (9.5) ounces moisture moved to the atmosphere!

I think in another hour hiking the base layer and mid-layer would be fully dry (or very nearly so).

I've got a couple of day window where it looks like I'll see freezing temps (we've been below freezing for 3-4 weeks now) so the plan is to replicate the test with the other two mid-layers in this small window.

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
A little teaser of my moisture moving test with mid-layer #1.

It goes likes so weigh dry base layer (Sitka Core Lwt hoody), fully soak base layer, wring a little and weigh wet base layer (15 oz of water, it's soaked!!!!), put in large ziplock, drive to trailhead, take off nice dry (warm) shirt and put soaking wet base layer on (32 degrees) and hike a 4 mile loop- not slow because having a soaking wet base layer in 32 degree weather isn't pleasant :ROFLMAO:, reweigh base layer to see how much moisture it's lost, reweigh mid-layer to see how moisture it's gained, take those figures and see how much total moisture was moved fully out.

I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the first result- base layer lost almost 11 (10.7) ounces of water, the mid-layer only gained a little over an ounce (1.2), so almost 10 (9.5) ounces moisture moved to the atmosphere!

I think in another hour hiking the base layer and mid-layer would be fully dry (or very nearly so).

I've got a couple of day window where it looks like I'll see freezing temps (we've been below freezing for 3-4 weeks now) so the plan is to replicate the test with the other two mid-layers in this small window.
Thanks for the effort.

As an aside, I really appreciate the lengths most of the promoted tester on this site are willing to go.

Appalaskan

Lil-Rokslider
Because you’re almost finished I’ll add in more wrenches.

Rab Alpha Flash (no hood)

Senchi Designs (have a few different Alpha Direct options with different weights and features)

Montbell UL Thermawrap

Arcteryx Proton FL (not LT. The FL is even lighter and more functional to me). Can’t quite tell if it’s been discontinued or just out of stock. They did have it in 2022.

Patagonia Nano Air Light Hybrid Hoody (releasing spring 2023). They had the Nano Air Light Hoody (discontinued 👎), then the NALHH (discontinued 👎), but now they’re releasing an updated version of the NALHH 👍. The original Light Hoody has been a favorite of mine, but I’ve always wanted pockets.

I do think the Stone Glacier Cirque Lite looks promising and has a lot of features we hunters will appreciate. I am concerned it has too much insulation. Someone mentioned the TNF Ventrix. I got rid of mine because it was over insulated for high output movement in cold weather. I’m hoping the side panels on the SG work as advertised. SG, in general, does give me hope that hunting brands are innovating beyond backyard tree stand hunting gear.

Last edited:

Jtenkink

FNG
Curious to see how this ends up. I’ve been looking at all of these recently thinking how to discern between them.