Mid-Layer Shootout Review ***Updated 2/18/23***

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I wore the Hoody for a bit yesterday; similar feel to the Kelvin Active Hoody (with full sleeves though). Same great breathability and comfortable over a wide temp range(hi 40s-low 70s). The jacket is slightly heavier and I would assume warmer and had a liner of some kind in it so it did not have the same fuzzy interior as the hoody.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wore the Hoody for a bit yesterday; similar feel to the Kelvin Active Hoody (with full sleeves though). Same great breathability and comfortable over a wide temp range(hi 40s-low 70s). The jacket is slightly heavier and I would assume warmer and had a liner of some kind in it so it did not have the same fuzzy interior as the hoody.

which hoody Steve?

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Sorry. Sitka had a booth at the TAC and they had a couple samples of the Ambient Hoody and Jacket.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ahh- the Ambient hoody on their site shows no lining fabric- just the insulation; is your's different?

The jacket should have a hood, and the hoody should have a kangaroo pocket IMO. I wear the KAH as a outer layer most of the time and use the kangaroo pocket quite a bit. Id use the KAJ much more often if it had a hood. I guess adding a hood would make the kaj and kah too similar, but still think they shouldve kept the kangaroo pocket on the ambient hoody.

pattimusprime22

Lil-Rokslider
I'm really curious how this new insulation will compare to polartec alpha direct. They both ditch liner fabric and since it has a simlilar overall weight to the MDWi hoodie I'm guessing the only difference is performance of polartec vs primaloft insulation? The Ambient hoodie comes in at 13oz and has 100g primaloft Evolve insulation. The Sitka Arrowhead MDWi hoodie comes in at 13oz, and I'm guessing has a similar amount of polartec alpha direct.

Is this gonna be added to the test?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm really curious how this new insulation will compare to polartec alpha direct. They both ditch liner fabric and since it has a simlilar overall weight to the MDWi hoodie I'm guessing the only difference is performance of polartec vs primaloft insulation? The Ambient hoodie comes in at 13oz and has 100g primaloft Evolve insulation. The Sitka Arrowhead MDWi hoodie comes in at 13oz, and I'm guessing has a similar amount of polartec alpha direct.

Is this gonna be added to the test?

Looking at the pictures there is definitely a similarity between Alpha Direct to Evolve. The MDWi uses 90 g/m2, which if the insulations are similar, should insulate about the same.

Robby and team will have final say on what’s in; they’re watching this thread. There is a couple of months before we can start testing, so we’ll see.

@mtwarden I would definitely be interested to see the ambient hoody included in the mid layer shootout. Sorry to double up on threads Mike.

I think we need to see a direct comparison in real world scenarios of polartec alpha vs primaloft evolve, to see which is better for different hunting situations, as the kelvin active series is still on offer.

Primaloft as a general rule seems to suffer from longevity, i.e. repeated compression reducing maximum potential loft and as such insulation properties, though I have seen it disputed how long this takes.

What I want to know is if primaloft evolve will suffer the same fate? As a midlayer it will be used the most and it's an expensive piece, you'd want is to last and withstand abuse. If after 2 years it feels half as warm (just to make up random numbers) would the polartec alpha have been a better long term choice?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don’t foresee Alpha and Evolve suffering the same fate as some of the other Primaloft insulation (and other synthetic insulation). Alpha and Evolve are continuous filament vs short-staple (Primaloft and others). Continuous filament is much less likely to suffer loss of loft from repeated compression cycles- not immune, but should do better.

JohnB

WKR
Whatever currently passes as the poor man's MDWI. Ive got a discontinued Outdoor Research Ascendant coat that I love but live in fear of it's demise. What should I keep an eye out for?
Well I solved that one and found a backup Ascendant. That puppy is going straight to the back of the closet until I kill this one.

woods89

WKR
Large OR Ascendant hoody in the classifieds right now, and the price is right. I sure like mine. It would be an affordable way to check out Alpha Direct.....