Pure Precision actions

Anyone have any experience with the Pure Precision actions. Any of them in general, but I am looking at the SKLTN stainless or Ti. Do they stack up next to any of the top competitors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

khuber84

WKR
I had experience with a few their previous gen actions when they were Mesa, they were called Crux, I had the Ti versions. They were not the best. But I did hear rumor a very well known high end gunsmith(who I hold in high regard) had a hand in helping them with their new designs. Typical actions with short bolt lift angle typically have higher forces cocking and extracting cases due to more forces to perform the same work with a traditional 90° lift. If I were chasing a ligntweight steel action I'd probably go with a defiance anti or Pierce shadow. They're proven. Not saying the new Pure Precision units aren't up to it. I'd definitely want to shoot one before purchasing, take a trip to Colorado and hit up John Hakes, as he's the owner of Pure, and a very nice guy, avid hunter. I'm sure he'd let you send a few rounds down his personal rifle. Personally myself, I wouldn't go titanium on anything larger than a 473 bolt face.

Hi Khuber84, would you be open to discussing more about your experiences with Mesa/pure precisions actions? I am considering getting one of their new Ti actions and have been unable to find any other information about them other than this thread. Happy to discuss by phone or email offline if you would prefer, thank you!

khuber84

WKR
Hi Khuber84, would you be open to discussing more about your experiences with Mesa/pure precisions actions? I am considering getting one of their new Ti actions and have been unable to find any other information about them other than this thread. Happy to discuss by phone or email offline if you would prefer, thank you!
PM sent

Hey Jwalks, if you see this I can't PM you back because I haven't hit the required post threshold. I haven't received my rifle from mesa/pure precisions yet so I don't have any hands-on experience with the action yet. Sorry I can't be more help.

z987k

WKR
The Pierce Skele-Ti is 1oz lighter for $100 less.

The skltn stainless looks to be about the same weight as the Defiance anti for less money, so if you're stainless inclined, that might be a good option.

Arken7mm

FNG
The Pierce Skele-Ti is 1oz lighter for $100 less.

The skltn stainless looks to be about the same weight as the Defiance anti for less money, so if you're stainless inclined, that might be a good option.
Are you sure about those numbers? I been looking at light weight ti actions and it says this below on their official websites...

SKLTN TI Long action: 16.5 oz = $1700

Pierce Engineering Skele-Ti Long action: 17.1 oz = $1650

BDWMT

FNG
I have Mesa Summit and am very please with it. I think it’s the same as the Pure Summit. No complaints after a year of shooting it.

z987k

WKR
Are you sure about those numbers? I been looking at light weight ti actions and it says this below on their official websites...

SKLTN TI Long action: 16.5 oz = $1700

Pierce Engineering Skele-Ti Long action: 17.1 oz = $1650
I own a pierce short action and it's 15.5oz. No idea on the longs.

BBob

WKR
But I did hear rumor a very well known high end gunsmith(who I hold in high regard) had a hand in helping them with their new designs.
That would be Alex Wheeler. He consulted with them on the new action mainly on the fire control portion.

When they were going by Mesa I purchased an action that upon inspection had issues. I called and explained the issue and they didn't question it one bit and had me send it back. I sent it back and it was promptly fixed. I discussed the actions with a gunsmith that was using a fair amount of them and at that point he had not had any issues so that particular action I received may have been an anomaly. I've had a few others through my hands and they were good. I have not had another in my hands since they became Pure Precision.

Last edited:
I have both the stainless and titanium actions, although I am running the titanium action on my new rifle. Haven't shot it a ton yet, but so far it has cycled pretty well and is smoother than some of the other custom actions I have tested. I can update this post once I really run it through the paces and take it on a few hunts this year.