Purchasing first muzzleloader need advice please

duckhunterrr

Lil-Rokslider
I am in the market of purchasing my first muzzleloader. I have been rifle hunting my whole, archery hunted for prob 10 years but am interested in muzzleloader now. Something about the boom keeps me hunting with guns.

Wanted to ask for advice on a muzzleloader purchase. I have read lots about Knights and am pretty set on the UL muzzleloader but need help with the set up. Will be using in Colorado and other western states. What recs are out there from ML experts on a set up that I can use in Colorado and other western states. Thank you in advance.

Flashlight Guy

Lil-Rokslider
I would look into the Accura MR-X .50cal from CVA. (PR3223N) It is much easier to clean and load then the Knight UL. Performance wise it will be very close without all the hassle of loading. A break action muzzle loader is overall more convenient but the UL is 6lbs and the Accura is 6.8lbs.

Zerk

Lil-Rokslider
I've got an old knight 85, I really like the stock, and keep using it. II do wish I had a newer style that breaks open.

I'd be curious about costs and do all states allow smokeless powder.

tstith

Lil-Rokslider
I recently bought my first muzzleloader. I got the CVA Optima 2 50 cal stainless on black furniture. Haven't shot it yet but it is a solidly made weapon. For $311 to my door, I am not displeased.

Durran87

Lil-Rokslider
Buy a cva optima v2 from their website, usually there’s a coupon code. Make sure it is drilled for open sights, some aren’t. They shoot as well as anything out there; bergara barrels…

Bluehawk

FNG
I shoot a Thompson/Center Triumph. Super light and very accurate. I am using 110 grains of Blackhorn 209, 250 gr. Barnes TMZ, and CCI 209 primers. I am getting clover leaf at 100 yards and a 1 1/2" group at 200 yards. I have a Zeiss 3-9 conquest on it. Might want to check regs as some states don't allow magnification.
I have tried Triple 7 powder with about the same accuracy but the Blackhorn has less smoke and burns supper clean. When I tried pellets my groups opened significantly.
Also the Barns TMZ are really tight to the boar and are though to load.

I have friends that are shooting CVA's, Traditions, and other models of Thompson/Center and are getting the same accuracy using the same load setup.

I am sure someone will chime in to say my setup is all wrong. But the accuracy is proof enough for me. I have shot two deer with this set up and dropped them both in their tracks.

Hope this helps.

ole hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Western states The muzzleloader you chose will need to be a open cap for the laws they have chosen . my Knight is the Western edition .meaning ULTRA LITE you can see the cap via a machined hole on the bolt to expose the cap. look up sabot loader he has some ture info on the setup of Knight Muzzleloaders

robwill54

FNG
I shoot a Thompson/Center Triumph. Super light and very accurate. I am using 110 grains of Blackhorn 209, 250 gr. Barnes TMZ, and CCI 209 primers. I am getting clover leaf at 100 yards and a 1 1/2" group at 200 yards. I have a Zeiss 3-9 conquest on it. Might want to check regs as some states don't allow magnification.
I have tried Triple 7 powder with about the same accuracy but the Blackhorn has less smoke and burns supper clean. When I tried pellets my groups opened significantly.
Also the Barns TMZ are really tight to the boar and are though to load.

I have friends that are shooting CVA's, Traditions, and other models of Thompson/Center and are getting the same accuracy using the same load setup.

I am sure someone will chime in to say my setup is all wrong. But the accuracy is proof enough for me. I have shot two deer with this set up and dropped them both in their tracks.

Hope this helps.
I also have a Triumph. Used to shoot 777 and TMZ but bore is tight and a pain to load. Using 110 grains of Blackhorn, 250 grain TEZ and getting the the same accuracy as you. The TEZ in the blue sabot load much easier for me; you might try those

PS you can still purchase a Triumph from
search under black powder rifles. Pretty reasonable. Just another option for you

I am in the market of purchasing my first muzzleloader. I have been rifle hunting my whole, archery hunted for prob 10 years but am interested in muzzleloader now. Something about the boom keeps me hunting with guns.

Wanted to ask for advice on a muzzleloader purchase. I have read lots about Knights and am pretty set on the UL muzzleloader but need help with the set up. Will be using in Colorado and other western states. What recs are out there from ML experts on a set up that I can use in Colorado and other western states. Thank you in advance.

I really think you are on the right track with the thought of a Knight Ultra Lite. The Colorado version allows you to shoot 209 primers as well as any powder you might want to use. A lot of people prefer BH-209 but at the current price of 209 I shoot T7 and deal with the formation of a 'crud ring' - which is very easy to clear once you have use it for a bit.

IMG_0001.jpg

The Ulite has an aluminum block bedded in the stock which really helps with accuracy.

IMG_2228.jpg

Target-Composite-2.jpg