public land food source

bnsafe

WKR
rifle season is over tues and I would like to put a couple stands out on the local public. Ive only hunted public a couple times until this rifle season never after rifle season. I sat up on some great looking runs but never saw a deer on them. I did end up killing 2 on public but nothing on the main runs. So, 1. how long after the orange army goes home do the deer start using their main trails again, and 2, what is the major food source this time of year for them in timber with some small opening. There are no food plots put in where I am at. I assumed acorn and we had a amazing acorn crop this year, but I saw very few while rifle hunting, and there is literally thousands of acres of oak trees so no way to focus on one spot. Any advice on late season public would be appreciated.

dtrkyman

WKR
I would look for a place where habitat changes, hardwoods butting up to an opening or swamp, creek bottom etc. They like edge and diversity!

With a large acorn crop it can be tough, look for white oaks and when you find the tree they are on currently it will be obvious!

Some of the heaviest trails are used after dark!

Pilarczyk85

Lil-Rokslider
I would also say that cover is essential. Thickets and such. Especially as temps dip.

Yoder

WKR
I'm still seeing deer feeding on acorns. This time of year I look for fresh digging in the leaves and droppings. I don't think it takes long for deer to get back to normal. I shot a buck a few years ago in open woods the second week of rifle season. We only get a lot of pressure the first weekend and the following two Saturdays. Mid week is pretty dead.