PSA keep comments, posts and memes clean

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lots of middle school humor lately that doesn’t reflect well for Rokslide and some of it wasn’t even on topic. This has been a theme for a couple weeks but has been getting out of hand the last couple of days. I’m not the only moderator that cleaned up threads today, we don’t want to spend the time to do so but we also don’t want to kill the conversation with the quick option of deleting the entire thread.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks. Some things are better not shared on the internet. I'm a former sailor and ED RN, I would be lying if I said I did not engage in questionable humor, but having the decorum to limit it to only others who want to be part of it is important and not possible on an open forum.

Edited because my rested morning brain did not like how tired evening brain worded things.

Last edited:

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
Why even taunt us? Its almost like you want the populous here to wreak havoc.

It would be much more beneficial to PM the offending parties of their unacceptable behavior. IF this is too much work maybe this mentality is the majority viewpoint here. If so, you're already too far gone and need to accept what you've created.

How many threads on here include a plethora of trash talking... I'd say the majority. This IS your base.

I know the money is great and all, but the main problem is this.... you're a hunting community... this is who we are. You can't change that you can only pretend it thats not who you are.

Think about the WKR/BOAL speak. This, while fun, leads to people expressing themselves. Any crack in your resolve will lead to the type of behavior you seek to dismiss.

So in reality you're left with 2 options:
1. Ignore the problem and keep posting these threads hoping they'll do something (but they will only kick the bees nest)

2. Accept who your community is and embrace it.

Do you want to make more $$ or retain your base for a longer time?

Good luck.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member

It would be much more beneficial to PM the offending parties of their unacceptable behavior. IF this is too much work maybe this mentality is the majority viewpoint here. If so, you're already too far gone and need to accept what you've created.

How many threads on here include a plethora of trash talking... I'd say the majority. This IS your base.

I know the money is great and all, but the main problem is this.... you're a hunting community... this is who we are. You can't change that you can only pretend it thats not who you are.

Think about the WKR/BOAL speak. This, while fun, leads to people expressing themselves. Any crack in your resolve will lead to the type of behavior you seek to dismiss.

1. Ignore the problem and keep posting these threads hoping they'll do something (but they will only kick the bees nest)

Good luck.

I think your wrong.
It's simply a few members not the majority.
It's awesome to do things in good fun, some things just aren't a joking matter.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member

Good luck.
I used to pm people and kindly ask them to rephrase their comment. Most are decent however you might be surprised how rude some are in a private conversation. Recently gave someone a month off for publicly disrespecting my private message to them. Also I have no idea how good the money is as this is a volunteer position.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Well said Tony and I agree.

I guess I'm gonna have to renew my contract as I didn't know you were getting paid........😉

Randy

Hopefully ryan and robby break him off some gear or a least a nice thank you note and a $5 starbucks card or one of those sweet mark 5's that form tested.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved

Good luck.
Disagree, people can have fun without having to sexualize things for a laugh.

The hunting community is not monolithic, 24hourcampfire really embraces your idea of it, I prefer Rokslide's slice of that community.

I do not see expressing a standard of behavior as taunting (though I can see how my post that I deleted could be seen as that), personally, I value it. Even if for a few hours after seeing the standard stated the bastard part of me wants to cross the line. It is good practice in self control.

Broomd

WKR
I used to pm people and kindly ask them to rephrase their comment. Most are decent however you might be surprised how rude some are in a private conversation. Recently gave someone a month off for publicly disrespecting my private message to them. Also I have no idea how good the money is as this is a volunteer position.
+1....I put several years in as a mod at the Alaska Outdoors forum and I regret every second.
Taking the abuse that I did there for free, especially as I moved out of AK to ID. Pure lunacy on my part to stay on.

In contrast this site is far more respectful to staff and each other. Grateful for all of you volunteers.

MNGrouser

FNG
I like a good middle schooler joke as much as the next guy. But I understand there are jokes I tell to my brother or hunting buddies and there are jokes I share at work or in mixed company. Even if poor taste is "who we are" at our core, we need to understand there is a time and place. Preserved on the internet forever monitors neither time nor place. Thanks Mods for the work you do keeping this place running.

Who wants to hear a limerick?

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Duly noted. My last poor taste meme was on Sunday, and while I think that means I’m not directly in the crosshairs, I’m sure my lack of maturity has served as the foundation for what has ensued.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I think your wrong.
It's simply a few members not the majority.
It's awesome to do things in good fun, some things just aren't a joking matter.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Times two, I learned this directly from you Sam along time ago. It’s almost always just a few people.

SWOHTR

WKR
Quite frankly, I’m surprised you all put up with as much as you do and don’t just ban people almost immediately. Thanks for what you do.