PSA- Colorado Wind

I agree it’s been nuts in the west in general. You know it’s bad when you don’t put your tree stand harness on because you feel the odds of getting hit by a neighboring tree, or going down in the one your in is more probable than a standard “fall”.

Guys hunting in burns or beetle kill, real good idea to camp in openings, and park truck where it’s free from falling dead tress. It’s real!

Sept 2017 some winds came in one night on the mountain up around 10,400. The wind gust literally sounded like freight trains coming through the mountains one after another after another. We could hear trees snapping like rifle shots all through the night. Needless to say it was a sleepless night. Kept waiting for a tree to fall on our tents. The next morning had to add grommets to several of the tarps and there were new trees down all throughout the areas we hunted. Several large Aspen were down across on the roads. Pretty amazing experience. Got to love Mother Nature. She let's you know real quick who is in charge.

MrBHSir

FNG
For those coming out West this year to hunt Elk and Deer in the high country I just want to give a reminder on the wind in Colorado. For whatever reason we have had a weather pattern since about last mid-fall of extremely strong wind including 100+ mph gusts at the Colorado Springs Airport. I just got back from camping up Hermann Mountain road at around 9,000 ft and we got rocked by wind over the weekend.

We had our tent nestled between some rocks and were alright but our tarp setup got knocked down a few times. Pretty much all night I heard the wind rip through the rock on the ridge above us. I say this for those coming out to be wise in your camp selection and stay away from ridgelines. Even ridges in the woods are still going to have a lot of exposure. The wind has been very unpredictable with 40 mph gusts coming out of nowhere and wind hitting with both clouds and blue sky days.
We have had unprecedented winds in the hotchkiss area this spring and early summer (units 52,53,63,521). July has been back to more normal wind patterns but we will see moving forward.
What we are also having here is an awesome fruit harvest year. Looking forward to fall bear hunts.

This is the thread that reminds me that no matter how wild the 90/10 thread gets... everyone sure as hell isn't moving to Wyoming. That being said, I'm in logistics and this has been a horrendous year for blow overs on I25, more in NoCO than anyone I know can recall.

I'll make sure my Wyoming mailbox is plenty stout. ;)

I agree it’s been nuts in the west in general. You know it’s bad when you don’t put your tree stand harness on because you feel the odds of getting hit by a neighboring tree, or going down in the one your in is more probable than a standard “fall”.

Guys hunting in burns or beetle kill, real good idea to camp in openings, and park truck where it’s free from falling dead tress. It’s real!
Not just the dead ones. I was set up in an aspen grove a few years ago on the western slope. Heathy 40 - 60' aspens on a very blustery day. 4 trees came down in the close proximity. That is scary!