Protective warm weather pants?

Pretty specific problem. Season starts pretty early where I'm at and I expect it to be very hot. I also expect to encounter a lot of star-thistle and other spikey nuisances during this time of year which makes for pretty hard going. Does anyone make some very protective pants that also breathe enough to wear when hot? Can't be wearing a double-fronted pant in these conditions.

Another idea I had is finding a durable pair of loose rain pants to take up the thorns and burs but I normally don't wear rain pants so I'm not sure how hot they get.

Typically I've used the Kuiu Kutana pants for their durability and ability to handle AZ heat. Cactus spines, shin daggers, cat claw, etc can still get through.

Have picked up the Kuiu Pro Bush pants but I have not had an opportunity to use them yet. They look promising with the vents but until I use them in the field while it is AZ hot, I cannot offer an opinion on them.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
maybe a very breathable pair of pants with a pair of chaps; I know they make some for bird hunters

rain pants would be a very big no if you're in the least concerned about heat

chaps still allow a good mount of breathing on the very bottom of the legs, behind the legs and maybe most importantly around the crotch :D

I was backpacking this April in the Mazatzal Wilderness (AZ) and this mountain guy learned a whole lot about prickly/thorny stuff!!!!

OP
H
Typically I've used the Kuiu Kutana pants for their durability and ability to handle AZ heat. Cactus spines, shin daggers, cat claw, etc can still get through.

Have picked up the Kuiu Pro Bush pants but I have not had an opportunity to use them yet. They look promising with the vents but until I use them in the field while it is AZ hot, I cannot offer an opinion on them.
Yeah those bush pants look good, lemme know what you think when you go out in them.

maybe a very breathable pair of pants with a pair of chaps; I know they make some for bird hunters

rain pants would be a very big no if you're in the least concerned about heat

chaps still allow a good mount of breathing on the very bottom of the legs, behind the legs and maybe most importantly around the crotch :D

I was backpacking this April in the Mazatzal Wilderness (AZ) and this mountain guy learned a whole lot about prickly/thorny stuff!!!!
Haha I never thought of chaps. Any good ones? Googling for them gets some... interesting results, and a bunch of cowboy cosplay stuff. And a few upland options but didn't find any from big names.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know Filson makes a Single and Double tin chaps- I'm thinking single tin would suffice. I think Brownig makes some too. Probably others.

It might be one of those things that you find some sturdy (but still relatively light) and have someone make a pair????

AKG

FNG
I used these for a few years bird hunting. Fairly lightweight, reasonable briar protection, fabrics noisy though.https://www.fntpost.com/Products/Chaps+Boot+Chap+Combos/Nite+Lite+Light+Weight+Slip-On+Style+Chaps

tpicou

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah those bush pants look good, lemme know what you think when you go out in them.

Haha I never thought of chaps. Any good ones? Googling for them gets some... interesting results, and a bunch of cowboy cosplay stuff. And a few upland options but didn't find any from big names.
I have a couple pairs of the Kuiu bush pant. They seem to work pretty well with all the vents open but we haven’t had any super miserable/humid days yet. I’ve mostly used them for running dogs and have done fine. Will def be taking them to South Africa in september to see how they hold up to thorns. If they survive there then they’ll def be my go-to pants from now on.

As far as chaps are concerned, these are bomb proof. Def NOT something you wear when it’s hot, though.

yfarm

WKR
Check out Dan’s hunting gear for chaps make several models from lightweight unlined uncoated to snakeproof. A number of upland retailers rebrand them and sell as house brands, the hunters choice above are rebranded and repriced Dans. When hunting in cactus for quail I wear snake boots with a pair of chaps I cutoff just below the knee, can wear shorts underneath.

Last edited:
I have a couple pairs of the Kuiu bush pant. They seem to work pretty well with all the vents open but we haven’t had any super miserable/humid days yet. I’ve mostly used them for running dogs and have done fine. Will def be taking them to South Africa in september to see how they hold up to thorns. If they survive there then they’ll def be my go-to pants from now on.

As far as chaps are concerned, these are bomb proof. Def NOT something you wear when it’s hot, though.
Not heard of stone creek chaps before. How hot is too hot for them? I have a set of turtle skins chaps that I really like for protection but they can be quite warm as well. Lots of guys like orvis chaps.

tpicou

Lil-Rokslider
Check out Dan’s hunting gear for chaps make several models from lightweight unlined uncoated to snakeproof. A number of upland retailers rebrand them and sell as house brands, the hunters choice above are rebranded and repriced Dans. When hunting in cactus for quail I wear snake boots with a pair of chaps I cutoff just below the knee, can wear shorts underneath.
Yeah when wick outdoor works went out of business they sold the rights to their fabric iirc. Dan’s and stonecreek both use it. Stonecreek has shorter inseam options available which works for short ***** like me. Wouldn’t be surprised if they order them from Dan’s at all. The shorts idea is smart. I might start doing that.

Not heard of stone creek chaps before. How hot is too hot for them? I have a set of turtle skins chaps that I really like for protection but they can be quite warm as well. Lots of guys like orvis chaps.
They’ve been ok in the humid 80s but any warmer than that and it gets kind of rough.

OP
H
Thanks for the recommendations everyone. The Kuiu bush pants look like a sweet deal and I'll probably go for those unless I can get a solid pair of chaps first. They look less miserable than double fronted work pants for early season birds too which is a big plus.