Pro's and Con's to Maven?

Wright406

WKR
I'm a big fan here. I have had most of their opinions in all facets. The wheel on the rangefinder is annoying, I will agree. But everything else in the B line and RS optics is top notch. The scopes track well, are clear and the warranty is stellar. Only had to use it once from dropping my spotter and they fixed it no questions asked. Biggest benefit is direct to consumer so you save some coin for other items or into your budget for hunts. Most people cannot tell the difference in glass from the big 3. If you were a guide and had clients where age is paramount, I could understand for the big three. But if your a constant hunter for yourself with a few big trips I personally can't see the need aside from bragging rights to own the bigger brands.

That‘s really much to broad of a question to answer. Personally, my favorite binocular, scope, spotter, and rangefinder wouldn’t all be from the same manufacturer. Also, optics are often a very personal choice and there are many considerations = size vs performance, weight, build quality, etc.

That said, Maven makes some fine binoculars that are a great value. I haven’t played around with their other devices much. For a spotter I think the best value is a Meopta Meostar S2; rangefinder Leica CRF (they work when many won’t).

Huntin_GI

WKR
At this point, I exclusively hunt the West. I have been using the Maven B2 11x45 for a few years now. Ergonomically, I can find reasons to complain but the image quality is superb.

I have had these one tripods with everything from Swaro, Razors, Zeiss, and a few others simultaneously.

Optically, the only set I have seen that I could conclude was undoubtedly "better" was the Swaros. This is at a price point more than 2x what I had paid for the Mavens. If I were to guide and spend 60+ days a year glassing for animals, I could see the reason to spend the money. I get to hunt somewhere in the ballpark of 20-30 days a year for biggame, and simply can't justify spending more.

Weldor

WKR
Just tried out my new CRS.1 3x12. Nice for the money . super clear . My only complaint would be the turrets, old style 2 screw to return to zero. Reminds me of Nikon's. Otherwise great optics.

Last edited:
That's a pretty bold statement Id be curious about this as well
Hopefully @nobody will chime in. He had mentioned to me in an earlier thread that the C series Mavens were comparable to the Razor HD’s. Really caught my attention with that one.

cworkman

FNG
Hadnt seen this mentioned yet so first, if you put your hot sweaty face right up close to your cold lens on your binos, it will not matter what brand they are. They will fog on the outside from that heat and moisture. I keep eye cups screwed all of the way in all the time (for multiple reasons) and rest the top edge of em on my neanderthal brow for stability, this helps exterior fogging compared to burying hot eye sockets in extended cups.

On to Maven. I have the B2 9x45 and the B3 8x30. Both are great for what they are and the money. I did upgrade to the NL Pure 10x after looking through the B2, SLC, EL, and NL Pure all side x side on tripods and that being the only one I thought was worth a bunch of extra money. Not saying EL and maybe SLC isnt clearer edge to edge, just would not feel at a dis advantage using the B2 instead of those in any light conditions on or off a tripod. On the fence if I am going to keep the B2 for backup and/or others to use or sell them yet. The B3 8x30 are sweet little binos to keep in truck, let a kid use, and I actually use them bow hunting elk sometimes when I know that I will not be relying on glassing long range. Love those little binos for what they are and what I paid for them. Have not used their other lines of optics but sounds like some folks like the rest of what they make as well....

I have looked through most the Leupold binos up to and including the BX4 and would go Maven for glass over those no question. Do have some Leupold scopes and a rangefinder though, they are good for what they are.

gpkhill2

FNG
In for opinions on the C series binoculars if anyone has any experience. I’ve been looking at these pretty hard lately.
I’ve had a pair of the C1 10x42s for a few years now. They are hands down the best glass in their price range and have been really solid. I use them year round shooting 3D and they get banged around with zero problems.

BLJ

WKR
I’ve had a pair of the C1 10x42s for a few years now. They are hands down the best glass in their price range and have been really solid. I use them year round shooting 3D and they get banged around with zero problems.

I’ve read a lot of good things. Probably going to keep an eye out for a sale. Appreciate it.

nobody

WKR
Hopefully @nobody will chime in. He had mentioned to me in an earlier thread that the C series Mavens were comparable to the Razor HD’s. Really caught my attention with that one.

That's a pretty bold statement Id be curious about this as well

Sorry to revive this thread from the dead, but I found my name being dragged through the mud on here while on a google rabbit hole 😂 Just kidding, you guys don’t drag me through the mud, but I can share my experience.

I owned the C1’s for about 2 years and used them in multiple conditions across multiple hunts and scouting trips. I owned them while I was also working part time at sportsman’s warehouse and would often take them to work and compare them with other optics that were sold in store. I was also one of the first guys in my town to own a pair of the C series mavens, and had lots of guys that I ran into in field that asked me to see and try the C’s out and look through them.

The conclusion I came to was that the C’s really were on par with the razor HD’s (NOT UHD’s) in the image quality. Comparable levels of chromatic aberration and image clarity, with a color “pop” advantage given to the Maven. The C’s fell short of the Razor HD’s in the field of view, with the Razors having a wider total field of view.

HOWEVER, the portion of the image that was clear and not blurry was the same between the Maven C’s and the Razors. In other words, even if the Razors have a 350 foot FOV and the Mavens were 315 or something, both had a 275 foot wide “sweet spot.” I never actually measured anything, but the observed sweet spot in both optics was identical.

That’s just my personal experience. I still have a brother who owns Razor HD’s and I no longer own the C series, so it’s not to say the Razors aren’t a good optic. Maybe I just had an exceptional pair of C1’s and I was only looking through sub-par versions of the Razors, but I stand by my assessment that the C1’s happily stand next to the Razor HD’s as a competition to them.

BLJ

WKR
Sorry to revive this thread from the dead, but I found my name being dragged through the mud on here while on a google rabbit hole 😂 Just kidding, you guys don’t drag me through the mud, but I can share my experience.

I owned the C1’s for about 2 years and used them in multiple conditions across multiple hunts and scouting trips. I owned them while I was also working part time at sportsman’s warehouse and would often take them to work and compare them with other optics that were sold in store. I was also one of the first guys in my town to own a pair of the C series mavens, and had lots of guys that I ran into in field that asked me to see and try the C’s out and look through them.

The conclusion I came to was that the C’s really were on par with the razor HD’s (NOT UHD’s) in the image quality. Comparable levels of chromatic aberration and image clarity, with a color “pop” advantage given to the Maven. The C’s fell short of the Razor HD’s in the field of view, with the Razors having a wider total field of view.

HOWEVER, the portion of the image that was clear and not blurry was the same between the Maven C’s and the Razors. In other words, even if the Razors have a 350 foot FOV and the Mavens were 315 or something, both had a 275 foot wide “sweet spot.” I never actually measured anything, but the observed sweet spot in both optics was identical.

That’s just my personal experience. I still have a brother who owns Razor HD’s and I no longer own the C series, so it’s not to say the Razors aren’t a good optic. Maybe I just had an exceptional pair of C1’s and I was only looking through sub-par versions of the Razors, but I stand by my assessment that the C1’s happily stand next to the Razor HD’s as a competition to them.
Definitely wasn’t meant to drag you through the mud. If that’s what came across, I apologize. 😁
I knew you and had discussed the Mavens in the past. And also knowing that objective information is hard to come by, I wanted to pass along as much as I could. 😁

nobody

WKR
Definitely wasn’t meant to drag you through the mud. If that’s what came across, I apologize. 😁
I knew you and had discussed the Mavens in the past. And also knowing that objective information is hard to come by, I wanted to pass along as much as I could. 😁
You’re good brother, totally understand! I was just teasing

Reactions: BLJ