Pros and cons of accounting/CPA

Thunt22

FNG
Classified Approved
Currently a younger professional who is currently in corporate finance (sr. Analyst). Any seasoned professionals in the same industry comfortable with sharing their salary paths?

elkyinzer

WKR
CPA spent about ten years in public, two in industry, currently doing consulting/CFO type work solo but trying to scale and grow it this year. Learning a ton every day now. I definitely stagnated in public for awhile but I was in a good spot with work/life there.

Overall enjoy it. Went through a slump in my late 20's where I regretted it and looked to get out, but being my own boss now is a pretty sweet gig.

Good money, good work life balance if you make the right moves, you'll never hurt for opportunities

The busywork, and most of it is that, is often be boring AF. Get in with an old school firm and busy season blows with 60+ hour weeks. You never get to play the hero if praise and adoration are what you seek. It can be easy to get "stuck" in a role with no room for growth if you aren't proactive about your path.

The whole automation/AI thing replacing us is a giant crock of shit.. At least for now. Offshoring, yes there is a lot of that but all AI does now is make more work for humans.

I have a degree in economics, working for the government... decided I wanted to go back to school to obtain my accounting degree. I am two classes away from graduating and have already received job offers in audit and tax with small and large accounting firms with good pay/benefits/promotion potential.

Rokwiia

WKR
Over the years, I've known many CPAs and attorneys who decided to use their credential/degree as a calling card rather than as a career. The CPA who endeavours into commercial real estate development, becomes a controller, a financial adviser, or even a special agent with the FBI.

It's an excellent way to open doors--one that having just an accounting degree alone won't do.

bowhunter307

Lil-Rokslider
CPA going on almost 10 years here. Public, tax. Worked my way up through the years doing a little audit but mostly tax. Eventually proved my worth enough to move where I wanted to live and stay with my same firm and get to manage the department in my areas of specialty (oil &gas and high wealth/estate planning) while not working the insane overtime hours the industry seems to standardize for young newcomers. Seeing more and more companies offering arrangements like mine.

Moral of the story is it's a great career field to work your way up in, find a specialty niche and if you're good enough at it you can set your own hours, schedule and client base. Let me know if you have any detailed questions or want to talk in depth.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Thinking on going back to school for accounting and try to be a CPA.
I don’t personally know many people in this line of work.
Any reason not to go this route?
Pros and Cons?
Appreciate any feedback
Well, did you take the plunge? Tax CPA here.