Private Land Recommendation

snvts82

FNG
Anyone have any private land outfitter hunts they recommend. Looking for a hunt for 2022 for a group of 6. I think NM will be just out of our price range, $7500 top dollar. Looking at Co, Mt, or Idaho? Or a public land hunt with high success. Most likely be half our group’s first and only elk hunt. Looking for higher success rate over trophy potential. Thanks for any help.

Blackstorm

Lil-Rokslider
I would recommend our outfitter but they only book 6 hunters per season and we took all the spots for 2022, however there are a bunch of outfitters in the Meeker - Craig area but to find 6 slots will be hard you might have to split into two groups

So you’re not necessarily looking for a private land hunt just a good hunt. Bow or rifle?

DCT1983

Lil-Rokslider
I would call and talk to the people at Steve’s Outdoor adventures. They’re good people, and always been pretty helpful. My dad and I went through SOA for our 2020 mule deer hunt and were happy with them.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Best way to get 6 guys hunting at the same time in the same place on a guided elk hunt would be to book a wilderness hunt in MT or WY Thorofare, which will be public land. The ones I talked to typically run 1 to 3 camps at a time, with camps of 6 to 8 hunters so you guys can have your own camp. Success rate will be 40-50%

The whole point of private land hunts is to hunt a highly managed, low hunting pressure situation. 6 hunters rolling in and taking out 5 or 6 bulls would be the opposite of that.

OP
snvts82

snvts82

FNG
Looking for a rifle hunt. Not necessarily private. After a memorable hunt.

And thanks I will give Steves a ring. I appreciate it.

And I totally agree with the wilderness hunt but we’ve got two older hunters, one having limits on the amount of horse riding so that’s why I’m looking at this style of hunt. I’d love to get those guys in the backcountry but it’s just not doable.

oldman

FNG
Call Rocky Pappas at Nine Mile Guest Ranch. He has ranching for wildlife property as well as private regular season hunts. They do very well. Be little careful in your search in the Meeker area as there are a couple of really poor outfitters that are scammers with wonderful web sites.

OP
snvts82

snvts82

FNG
I appreciate the info. I will give them a ring also. I get a little obsessive with this type of stuff, ask them a million questions, reference successful and non successful hunters, research onx, hunting stats, hit the forums obviously, and anything else I can do to properly vet them. If anyone else is looking for this type of hunt please message me. I’d be happy to share my research and lists which is quite extensive. Again, thanks for the help.

Sean Zele - High Desert Hunting Company out of Aguilar CO hunts private ranches and can take 6 guys.
Have had great success with him over 3 years on Elk and Deer.

www.cotrophydear.com