Prices in Italy are very cheap right now

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
I’m currently in the Italian Alps, where most boots we discuss are made. These include:
-Kenetrek (made by Diotto and called the Canadian here https://www.diotto.com/en/boot/canadian/)
-Zamberlan
-Crispi
-La Sportiva
-Scarpa
-Armond (make Hoffman boots)
-Asolo

Then the other European brands are made elsewhere but priced competitively)
-Salewa
-Salomon
-Lowa
-Hanwag

They’re all much cheaper here. Crispi Nevadas are in stores for $235 - $255 US dollars. Zamberlan are $202 - $255 for the full leather, rubber rand, hunting boots. Diotto Canadian are $225 here. These prices are what I’m actually seeing (after adjusting for the Euro to Dollar conversion and BEFOIRE a refund of the 18% VAT). Asolo, La Sportiva and Armond are all basically $200 or less. Salewa and Hanwag are $190 - $210.

I will come home with insulated and unisulated boots for the price of a single pair uninsulated in the US.

If you’ve in Italy, I recommend you shop for boots. Be aware, the sizing is traditional European, meaning most stores do NOT carry wides. That’s great for me. But, might not be for everyone.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The Euro has really come down to the dollar and they're almost even again. I remember back in 2002+ living in Italy when we could get 1.14 euro's to the dollar. Man, there were some deals back then on everything Italy sells. Would be cool to be over there now seeing this, and scoring on some deals.

This is the result of buying from the source vs in the US when there are customs fees, duties, taxes, and shipping charges added onto the price of the boot itself.

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
Ha, my buddy is over there right now- maybe I should hit em up

Northwest

FNG
I’m currently in the Italian Alps, where most boots we discuss are made. These include:
-Kenetrek (made by Diotto and called the Canadian here https://www.diotto.com/en/boot/canadian/)
-Zamberlan
-Crispi
-La Sportiva
-Scarpa
-Armond (make Hoffman boots)
-Asolo

Then the other European brands are made elsewhere but priced competitively)
-Salewa
-Salomon
-Lowa
-Hanwag

They’re all much cheaper here. Crispi Nevadas are in stores for $235 - $255 US dollars. Zamberlan are $202 - $255 for the full leather, rubber rand, hunting boots. Diotto Canadian are $225 here. These prices are what I’m actually seeing (after adjusting for the Euro to Dollar conversion and BEFOIRE a refund of the 18% VAT). Asolo, La Sportiva and Armond are all basically $200 or less. Salewa and Hanwag are $190 - $210.

I will come home with insulated and unisulated boots for the price of a single pair uninsulated in the US.

If you’ve in Italy, I recommend you shop for boots. Be aware, the sizing is traditional European, meaning most stores do NOT carry wides. That’s great for me. But, might not be for everyone.
Bring a couple dozen pairs home and share with the rest of us!

OP
S

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
In fact online, it looks like they sell for $215 euros and free shipping. Euro is 1:1 with the dollar today. So its $215 USD too. Hanwag is even cheaper.

OP
S

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
I’m actually considering the lowa Tibet GTX, Hanwag Alaska GTX or the Zamberlan Suaguro GTX. along with an insulated boot. Either Diotto Canadian (it is the KENETREK Mountain Extreme) or the Zamberlan Hunter which is insulated.

Question: has anyone compared durability of the Lowa, Zamberlan and Hanwag I’m interested in? All fit me about the same. Similar prices.

OP
S

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
Interestingly, the 3 most popular brands here in the Alps, where the terrain is very steep, very rocky and quite steep and rough with frequent storms and lots of underbrush are; Scarpa, LaSportiva and funny enough Salewa. Salomon is a distant 4th. Very little market share for Asolo, Lowa, Meind, Hanwag, Diotto (Kenetrek), etc.

OP
S

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
That I don’t know. There may be limits to ordering from the US. By far the preferred brands here are Scarpa and LaSportiva due to the incredibly diifcult and rocky terrain. Both are viewed as technically superior boots. I

Italy has pretty much been colonized by China. Most of the components of the once great Italian alpine boot brands are made in China.