Preferred shot distance calling coyotes

Wolf_trapper

Lil-Rokslider
I call in a Western state and I prefer to stop coyotes when they get in to 200yds or so for a shot. Had some guys tell me the guys who are good at calling only shoot them at 50yds or less. In my experience any closer than 200 they have a better chance to keep moving and get your wind.

Just curious what others think is ideal range.

Flashlight Guy

Lil-Rokslider
There are a lot of different factors to consider. The goal for me is to get them as close as possible. However, like mentioned above if the coyote starts to get suspicions I've called the shot as far as 400 yards. (That is if the wind is low and there is nothing behind the coyote.) A majority of the time I just watch the coyote and let their body language tell me when to call the shot.

mcseal2

WKR
Depends on the terrain and how well I can hide. Generally, if they stop within 150 and I'm on them I'll go ahead and shoot. If they keep coming I'll let them get closer. If they sit down I always start trying for a shot, most times it seems once they sit down the aren't coming closer.

Yovi1991

FNG
I’m from the Midwest and we’re lucky to even see 200 yards. I kill the majority of my coyotes with 4 buck at 50 yards or less

I all ways let them come in as close as possible

Northpark

WKR
I basically just take the first clean shot I get on them which tends to be the first time they stop generally inside 300 yards. But if they are coming on a string I tend to let them come before use the red dot on them.

WCB

WKR
100 to 150 is ideal for me with a rifle. Closer and things start happening fast and if they start to circle that close you have to shift your body too much. If I have a shotgun I'll let them get as close as possible. But I just don't feel like carrying two guns to the stand. Funny thing is last time I did I set up in a spot where there was no way a Coyote would come from behind me (busyish road and no cover in-between). For some stupid reason set the caller up 30yards above me on the hill thinking they should swing right in for the scatter gun. Shotgun on my lap and rifle ready to go. After 20minutes of calling I hear something right behind me. Coyote is less than 10ft right behind me. We both pissed ourselves and to say the least he lived to see another day.

I know some guys that kill a 150+ every year by themselves and very few are shot 50 yards or in. Could they have got that close sure but when prices were $75-$80 on carcass and over $100 put up...you just kill coyotes and don't mess around. Now with prices low....well you still just kill Coyotes and don't mess around.

OP
W

Wolf_trapper

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting to hear the differences. I'd be screwed if I had to get them inside 100yds not during denning season. I don't pack a shotgun this time of year so if they come running it's not necessarily a good thing. I bet there are a lot of educated coyotes in thick country.

308_WIN

FNG
If I have a shot at 100-150yds I take it. Not too much concern about bullet drop or wind drift at that range.