Predator hunting safety with kids

BryanL

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all! Slow deer and bear season so far here in west Oregon. Been thinking about getting an electronic call and try to call in a bear or lion. The only snag is, I mostly hunt with my 5 year old or solo. So my question is, what do y’all think about if electronic calling and predator hunting is safe?

I know I would want to do a setup in a place that is elevated and someone open to avoid something coming up from behind. I just need the gut check of “no that is a stupid idea” or “it’s fine if you use common sense”. Mostly concerned about a mountain lion showing up. I grew up in Alaska and am not so concerned about the black bear here in western oregon. I’d be shooting a .308 and always have a pistol readily available with me as well.

At work I got the feedback that it would be fine from at least two other hunters, but I just don’t have enough experience to make that assessment. TIA

go_deep

WKR
I use an e caller for wolves and lions, only shoot a .223. I'm not scared of one coming in behind me, it'll make for a great story if one ever does!

OP
B

BryanL

Lil-Rokslider
I use an e caller for wolves and lions, only shoot a .223. I'm not scared of one coming in behind me, it'll make for a great story of one ever does!
What sort of load are you using for a .223? I plan to play it safe if I were to do it. My kid loves hunting so much and I think it would be a good experience to get a bear or lion, but also, I can’t tell if I’m over thinking the risk of predator hunting.

go_deep

WKR
I just use a 55 grain. When my kids come with I load them up with a 12 gauge 00 buck in an auto loader so they can just hammer something till it's dead and not have to worry about being dead accurate.
Don't overthink it, more times than not nothing will come in, and when they do they'll likely be way more afraid of you then you of them.

OP
B

BryanL

Lil-Rokslider
I just use a 55 grain. When my kids come with I load them up with a 12 gauge 00 buck in an auto loader so they can just hammer something till it's dead and not have to worry about being dead accurate.
Don't overthink it, more times than not nothing will come in, and when they do they'll likely be way more afraid of you then you of them.
Thanks for that. I know that my 5 year old is definitely too small for a shotgun for now. I’m fine being the shooter. I just have this fantasy in my mind that I shoot one and then it charges me for some reason. For the 55gr, are you using like a V max or something like an all copper bullet? I think for sake of confidence and ease, I’d be shooting a 178gr ELDX precision hunter. Same load for deer/bear for now. In the future I’ll have additional loads developed.

I don't predator hunting anything but coyotes, but try to be pragmatic about stuff like this.

Have you ever heard of anyone getting chewed on predator hunting? I'd have to guess the odds are pretty remote. Likely driving there, and just being in the country, is more risky than the actual calling in of predators. I would take my child with no reservations.

OP
B

BryanL

Lil-Rokslider
I don't predator hunting anything but coyotes, but try to be pragmatic about stuff like this.

Have you ever heard of anyone getting chewed on predator hunting? I'd have to guess the odds are pretty remote. Likely driving there, and just being in the country, is more risky than the actual calling in of predators. I would take my child with no reservations.
Good point! I have never heard of anyone getting charged by predators while hunting. I am quite sure it happens, but you make a good point that it is probably significantly more dangerous driving out to the woods than the hunting risks. I just want to make sure I'm thinking clearly and not being too narrow. Thanks!

I would probably bring a 12 gauge for anything charging in, but I wouldn’t hesitate to bring my young kids. Black bears are like big coyotes and mt lions won’t charge in. I would keep my head on a swivel on the walk out though for one sneaking around in the brush. Damn lions make me more nervous than grizz or anything else :)

OP
B

BryanL

Lil-Rokslider
I would probably bring a 12 gauge for anything charging in, but I wouldn’t hesitate to bring my young kids. Black bears are like big coyotes and mt lions won’t charge in. I would keep my head on a swivel on the walk out though for one sneaking around in the brush. Damn lions make me more nervous than grizz or anything else :) Also, are you suggesting a 12 gauge for the walk in/out in addition to a rifle?
Funny piece is that I grew up in Alaska. And obviously grizzly were always a concern, but I’m more scared of wolves. I feel similarly to lions around here. I just get damn nervous about those lions.

Last edited:
Funny piece is that I grew up in Alaska. And obviously grizzly were always a concern, but I’m more scared of wolves. I feel similarly to lions around here. I just get damn nervous about those lions.
When I took my young kids with me I always brought a 12 gauge for the walk out and for anything that came charging in close. I have had coyotes end up in my lap…its just peace of mind for me. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Scoped bolt guns aren’t great for close quarter combat scenarios. If you are using an AR you are probably fine to leave the shotgun at home.

OP
B

BryanL

Lil-Rokslider
When I took my young kids with me I always brought a 12 gauge for the walk out and for anything that came charging in close. I have had coyotes end up in my lap…its just peace of mind for me. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Scoped bolt guns aren’t great for close quarter combat scenarios. If you are using an AR you are probably fine to leave the shotgun at home.
Got it! Thanks for the info. I run a 1.5-8 power scope since I hunt the coast range mainly. But I see what you’re saying about having some 12 gauge OO buck on hand. Other than the weight. I would certainly rather have a shotgun with buckshot ready for the walk out. Although, can you only use 3 shells??

Got it! Thanks for the info. I run a 1.5-8 power scope since I hunt the coast range mainly. But I see what you’re saying about having some 12 gauge OO buck on hand. Other than the weight. I would certainly rather have a shotgun with buckshot ready for the walk out. Although, can you only use 3 shells??
No, you can take the plug out for predators. 3 shells is only for waterfowl and some upland depending on the state hunting regs.